Tomaru Longcrowers...

chicks are black and white... and they look almost like a turkey when they are growing out - very "game" looking.

I pronounce it Tome Ah Roo
Are some of the first feathers (I think just wing feathers) white?

Sandhill told me that I might lose some in the first week to 10 days, that they don't compete well. They said after that they are thrifty. There were 34 chicks in this group, and I got 18 turkeys from Kevin Poeter that showed up at the same time. I'd put all of the chicks together before Sndhill told me that. I haven't lost any, so I am happy.

Are some of the first feathers (I think just wing feathers) white?

Sandhill told me that I might lose some in the first week to 10 days, that they don't compete well. They said after that they are thrifty. There were 34 chicks in this group, and I got 18 turkeys from Kevin Poeter that showed up at the same time. I'd put all of the chicks together before Sndhill told me that. I haven't lost any, so I am happy.

the tip of the wing is white in the beginning, but then it all goes black - even the comb and wattles - take s long time to tell roo from hen on these suckers. The chickens hatched out three, two are still alive - and they are in a pen with 3 turkeys and their momma and competing just fine. I would consider them at risk for the first 3 weeks though. I hope you have a huge brooder - that's a lot of chicks in one brooder

I'd like to know if there are more breeders in the group now? I have a rooster from fakokoWV and 2 pullets from Cliff Simmons from here in Mo. He no longer has Tomaru. I have tried to get hold of Farmerboy for hatching eggs but no luck there.
I hope I can get some eggs from Daron eventually.

I am hatching Tomaru eggs now, hoping to have a fair number this year and many more in the coming years. If there are serious breeders in this group, please message me. I created a FB group to draw in as many breeders as possible to work together to increase the number of breeders and breeding stock in the US but for those who prefer not to use FB, BYC is also a great place to work together.

I got a dozen tomaru eggs and hatched 9. 7 roosters and 2 pullets. Not crowing yet,can't wait for the chorus to begin. I have to tag them with zip ties to see who crows the longest to claim breeding rites. Should get lots of eggs in the spring, I also have a breeding pair of denizli long crower's

Maranfarmer,
How are your Tomaru doing? My hens are laying like crazy. I put lights on them in mid December and I'm hatching eggs now. Would you be interested in swapping some well started/feathered chicks this spring? Message me

Back
Top Bottom