Trapped a Neighbor's Dog on My Deck....Got an Earful

Pics

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
Well, not the neighbor himself, but the neighbor's always-in-trouble 20 yr old son, gave us an education in expletives. Was at my desk, thought I saw something go past the window. Sure enough, the dog had traveled from the neighbor's, down my 200 ft driveway, and was on my deck. Thank GOD my broodies with their babies weren't out roaming! This dog is an Aussie/Blue Heeler mix, very skittish, can't get near him. He supposedly has an invisible fence. Well, it wasn't working and my driveway gate was open because I was expecting another neighbor to come get eggs.

Kid apparently was at his dad's house, recovering from yet another truck accident, drove up on the Gator. We get oh, I'm sorry. DH says, I don't want to cause any trouble but we have hens with chicks and if they'd been out, he would have killed them. Kid says, I'm sore, I just want to go home. Tries to leave to avoid the lecture he knows is coming. DH says in a very soft voice, Mark, if he comes up here again, I'll have to shoot him. Then the fun starts and the threats.

"Ive had him since he was a puppy, if you shoot him, there's going to be trouble. I'll come up here with a shotgun and shoot every one of those *bleeping* chickens (of course, harsher word used)" Then he speeds on out of here. I tell DH to call the sheriff now, after that threat, but he wants to talk to the kid's father when he gets home tomorrow from his trucking gig.

We do have a law here that says no dog can be off the property without being under the control of the owner and that we are within our rights if he is killing/harassing livestock or poultry (yes, it says that, specifically mentioning poultry) so there is no question who is in the wrong here.

Well- I would have the shotgun ready
smile.png

The kid is an adult, you said 20years old. I would call the cops so it is on paper. Especially since when you do have to shoot his dog when it comes back, he will definately be a little more upset.

And now, 10 years later, this kid is a grown man and has inherited his father's house. His dad passed away last fall. This is what I caught in my driveway a few days ago, supposedly belonging to a frequent visitor to that neighbor and also, supposedly a "service dog". Seems a lackadaisical way to manage a valuable dog, if she really is. My gate was open for a delivery and chickens had been free ranging and dustbathing under my steps not long before, but I had thankfully decided to keep the next groups penned that day so none were in imminent danger. I've also included a sign that is on the way to me that will be posted at the front of the property, positioned to face the road and sort of turned toward their property. We did call. Whoever answered the phone said only "well, she's down here now". No apology, nada. The next day, Mark Jr called us to apologize for the dog being here, BUT today the dog was loose and running all over the place, saw it when I walked to the mailbox.
DSCF0025.JPG
DSCF0026.JPG
DSCF0027.JPG
Proof.ashx.png

Neighbors... UGHHH...
barnie.gif

My nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away and that is too close... don't get me wrong, I have great neighbors, wonderful in fact... it's just as I get older the more of a hermit I become... next house will be off the grid!
old.gif

One day is reasonable to wait to talk face to face to his dad... but depending how that goes I would sure get a report/paper trail started with the law.
So glad that you didn't lose any babies or moms for that matter!
celebrate.gif

Good luck with your situation.
frow.gif

If the dog is so precious to this young man, then he should try harder to keep him in his yard or in a confined space. The nerve of some people! Keep your pets on your property!

Why not invite the father up for a nice cup of coffee and some blueberry muffins in the morning? He's not likely to bring Screwball the Ugly with him, right? Then sit down and have yourself a nice, relaxed, adult and civil discussion. Try to put a note of regrettable understanding in your voice. Convey somehow that you appreciate what the father is going through with the kid, but that you have to do what you must to protect creatures that are every bit as important to you [probably more so!] as his son is to him. I'd then let him know in no uncertain terms what the repercussions will be if the dog enters the confines of your property again.

I'm of the mind that once you make the relevant parties aware of a problem, you've done all that you need to in the way of a warning. The next encounter would include gunfire and death of the dog!

On a personal note:
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I'm sorry you have to deal with this little twit right now Cyn. Ya just don't need it sweetie!
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
I know you to be a calm and intelligent woman, not given to fits of temper. I so hope that you can resolve this in a manner befitting of your nature.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I hate to advocate shooting the neighbor but here's my two cents. The boy threatened to come over onto your property (tresspassing) with a firearm (brandishing it? could be assault with a deadly weapon) in the process of trying to kill your livestock... big string of misdemeanors and a felony. Castle Doctrines apply here. How do you know when he's done with your birds he doesn't come after you next? I'd point out to the non responding sheriff's office that if he does show up on your property they can take their sweet time picking up his thoroughly aerated corpse. But that's just how I'd do it..
smile.png
wee.gif

LMAO Boyd...well I got your minion's back...my boys are already to deploy

ducks_on_business.jpg

They have an armor division too

tank.gif

Cyn, you know I am not a SSS type, I take the body back to the owner and tell them what I did, why I did it and how sorry I am but....

in this case, the guy has made his ridiculous position all too clear and I now see where the son gets his mentality and kohonas....dig the hole now, when the dog comes back shoot it and just bury it. This is an SSS situation. You cannot reason with moronic thinking like that, protect yourselves and your birds and dispatch the dog.

sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, well, well, seems we have no rights in your eyes, no recourse, no way to turn-just our own fault for owning those tasty, tempting chickens, huh?
roll.png

In all of that, you never mentioned my flock. Where are they in all this dog-love? You are in a different area than I am, different laws. Shooting a dog with a BB or pellet gun can be considered cruelty to animals. On-the-spot euthanizing a dog who is killing my pets (my pets, did you hear that, pets, some of whom I have had longer than that dog has been alive) is completely within my legal rights. Did you look at our county ordinances at all? I will have no trouble with cops for doing so. My chickens are just as important to me as your dog, trust me. Sure, a dog might get out once in awhile, but it only takes once for my entire flock of birds, some of whom are considered endangered breeds, to be slaughtered. He's had the last warning he's going to get. He has already perpetrated a criminal act by threatening to bring a loaded shotgun onto my property.

Back
Top Bottom