Trapped a Neighbor's Dog on My Deck....Got an Earful

Pics
Speckled Hen: Your DH sounds like a very level headed nice guy. Alot like my DH. I like the idea of you two talking to the young man's father, instead of just rushing to the police. To me it shows integrity and kindness on your part. I am not saying going to the police is wrong, but sometimes there is a higher road to take first. I also understand why so many say kids have no respect anymore, but that is the fault of parents with bad attitudes producing kids with the same. It is too bad for these parents that they go thru this with their son, but I bet there were some warning signs he put off as a youth that may be missed. Not always the case, but most times it is. Parents just can't bring themselves to accept their own fault either. The fact that these parents allow him in their home with a dog he will not take full responsibility for says to me they are way too permissive. I know the young man is 20, and what he does he is responsible for now, but if the parents are going to allow him to live there and keep this dog on their property then any grief this causes them is their fault too, as they are even older and need to be even more capable to make healthy tough decisions. I see alot of push over parents that say, I didn't raise hime like this. But in fact they have by being too permissive and not tough enough. Parents want to create a Disneyland experience for their children, they want them to be happy all the time. Sometimes pain and consequence are our greatest teachers, and make for wonderful caring adults. I hope it works out without him hurting you chickens. In my expereince, a lack of repect for authority usually stems from too permissive of a parent or too controlling. Both styles of parenting equal the same thing: REBELLION. I really like your style, very level headed but tough. We need more people like this in the world.
thumbsup.gif

I admit that the ONLY reason he got the dog back was because it came to the house rather than going after my chickens; that would have been very different if they had been free ranging as I do with at least one group every day. This is the second warning for this dog, not the first. The first was a couple years ago when one of my BR roosters was freaking out near the back of the property. Dog was at the perimeter livestock fencing, eying the birds. That was when the invisible fencing was installed on his property, but you gotta put batteries in the dang collar, sheesh.

If this was someone I didn't know, the dog would already be with animal control; any dog in the act of trying to kill the birds will be removed from planet Earth with no apologies. I feel for this father having to deal with his problem son--he is a generous neighbor who helps out with his tractor, scraping our gravel roads, etc. The threats of gun violence can't be ignored. They just can't. For us to shoot a dog harassing our chickens on our property is completely legal and within our rights, according to county law. Him coming up here with a loaded shotgun to kill our birds who are where they should be and possibly, in a rage, shooting at the house or us, is a criminal act. I hate to see this young man throw his life away completely. He dropped out of HS after having so much trouble; my husband, who was a substitute teacher at one time, even tutored him. Saddens me tremendously.

Not sure the dad is home yet. Usually, his tractor is out cutting his large expanse of lawn, but haven't heard it today. Wonder if his son is going to give him his version or just not tell his dad at all.

okay, I am going to rant a little! When my younger son was in high school his English teacher asked how I got him to read so much. My answer was "I know my TV has an 'off' switch." She asked if he did not have his own TV in his room and I just laughed! This is the major problem. Too many families split up to "do their own things" and manners and discipline fall by the wayside. Socialization skills begin at home within the family unit. Problems can be detected early and corrected before they become major. And I promise you can't have a kid that is tipsy or stoned sitting beside you and not know it!

And on another note: I gotta find me some of that skunk spray!

Hope the talk with the father goes well for you Speckled Hen.
hugs.gif

Good luck.

We live in the city on about an acre (its fully fenced in) but I worry about predators (more the 2 legged than 4 around here)

I hope and pray that the Dad will be understanding and not defensive.

I really like the idea of calling him and inviting him over. Bake a cake, fix lunch something to break the ice, then casually yet meaningfully let them know what happened.

The dog doesnt worry me for you all, the darn son does.

fl.gif
hugs.gif

Maybe your talk with the father will spur him to make his son either, get rid of the dog or become way more responsible. But this boy needs to be held accountable by his parents if they are going to let him live there. Otherwise this will escalate into needing police action. It is very sad about this boy, but he is making his own trouble and can only blame himself. I would shoot the dog if it came in my yard and killed my chickens. No doubt about it.

It would be interesting to see how this will play out.....hope the father realized that his son can not shirk his responsibility for his dog or caring for the dog while the father was away at work. It would be nice if the son will leave home and give his father a peaceful co existence among his neighbors.

I definetly understand your sentiment Ewesheep. It's so much harder when it is our children, though isn't is?! Sometimes real unconditional love has to be kind of, well, tough. It's hard to love someone enough to force consequence on them. It's much easier to sweep it under the rug and hope they will stop than to make someone you dearly love hurt, even if it is for their benefit.

I hate to advocate shooting the neighbor but here's my two cents. The boy threatened to come over onto your property (tresspassing) with a firearm (brandishing it? could be assault with a deadly weapon) in the process of trying to kill your livestock... big string of misdemeanors and a felony. Castle Doctrines apply here. How do you know when he's done with your birds he doesn't come after you next? I'd point out to the non responding sheriff's office that if he does show up on your property they can take their sweet time picking up his thoroughly aerated corpse. But that's just how I'd do it..
smile.png
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom