Treating Wry Neck In Crested Duckling *EDITED TITLE*

I'm so sorry to hear this jenniemig, But I sure understand what your saying, lets hope for the best outcome once you wean her off, we all know you'll do whats best for her you love her so much. We all do actually. If you hadn't gone to the lengths you have with Qwackers she wouldn't be here I don't think with all she went through right after hatch, you both are fighters.
hugs.gif

OK this is tough...My dog had surgery this morning to get spayed. When I dropped her off I spoke to the vet about Qwackers condition. He asked me to bring her when I picked up my dog. He is not an avian vet but does occasionally treat birds like parrots, cockatoos etc...Before I picked up my dog he researched crested ducks and made a few calls. When he examined Qwackers he said that her brain is protruding from the top of her skull quite a bit and that in his opinion that is the cause of her symptoms. He said that because of the placement of some of the brain she is experiencing swelling, which is being somewhat controlled by the steroids. He said that brain swelling is painful in humans, and in animals as well, imagine having a constant migraine. He suggested that I finish the next 2 weeks on the meds, then begin to wean her off. If the symptoms worsen euthanizing her is the only humane thing to do. :hit He has been treating our dogs for 10+years. I should add that my vet is a wonderful animal loving man and would never suggest this route if he thought she could be treated. 

I am so sorry to hear this, hopefully the little one pulls through with the antibiotics.

3 weeks old and Indie, my black east indie, is getting his big BOY voice. Today every other peep is VERY raspy. It's funny because the sound he makes startles him:-D

One thing I've noticed that even though she still has her crink in her neck, she is behaving much more normally. Her co-ordination is still off, though.

Back
Top Bottom