Welcome New Section: Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am new to backyard chicken-ing and am curious about the laws in Lexington SC pertaining to my endeavor. Also looking for like minded locals to share.

Quote:
Swann,

Welcome to the forum!
welcome-byc.gif

Be sure to introduce yourself in "New Members Area". Glad to have you here.

You can start a new thread if there isn't one already for SC and it should be more personalized that way for your needs.

Good luck and WELCOME!
thumbsup.gif

- Tommy

Do you know if there are generally any restrictions to having a few backyard chickens in most towns. I am in a medium-size suburb north of the Golden Gate Bridge. I want to get started and a friend has a few hens to give me. cmw.

Hello. I was just reading throught this entire thread and am happy to see so many people standing up for our rights to "farm". My wife and I have been dealing w/ what I like to refer as "educating the township and public" on sustainable living, chickens, etc. We live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and fortunately here, we have the Michigan Right to Farm Act. It states clear as day that the MRTFA supercedes any local ordinance that goes against what it says, but one must be commercial in nature. We have had 4 hearings so far (the last Jan. 7, 2010) and they had a new board member who is an attorney. He brought up the MRTFA and suggested that he didn't believe the township could really do anything about our farm as it appears we are protected by this State Law. We have around 100 chickens and 5 sheep on 6.5 acres, zoned Lake Residential. So, I would suggest to some of you to check your state's right to farm law if there is one. I have been doing extensive research and talking with many representatives from the Michigan Department of Agriculture, michigan farmers who are familiar w/ the RTFA as well as some attorneys. Do your homework and educate yourselves as much as possible on the local ordinances as well as State Laws and present your findings in a kind way. Our case here is hopefully going to help change outdated, ridiculous zoning "laws". I have intentions of playing a key role in this as I have offered to sit on a committee to help re-write the zoning to allow backyard chickens and make it acceptable for the entire community. We all have to work WITH the opposing side, not against them. Educate, don't battle. It will all be worth your time and effort!!! Happy farming!!!

Quote:
Not necessarily--you need to check your city, county and state ordinance definitions. In some places they are listed and included as livestock; in others they are listed and considered separately.

Quote:
Not necessarily--you need to check your city, county and state ordinance definitions. In some places they are listed and included as livestock; in others they are listed and considered separately.

Well,

Even if its added together as "livestock", its more correctly listed if its a subcategory of livestock but not necessarily "livestock" itself...but yes, you are correct, checking under both is best, can't go wrong with double-checking : )
thumbsup.gif

- Tommy

Quote:
Carolyn,

Thanks so much for the update! 2 hens per household. Not so bad because if you just need them for eggs, two production types are good enough but we'll see what we can work around...

- Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom