What is difference between scratch and peck feeds vs regular chicken feed?

Pics
Basically, Starter Grower only comes in a crumbles, All-Flock/Flock Raiser can sometimes be found in a Pellet.
Stay away from Grower/Finisher, the one I've seen is only 15% Protein.
I like a 18-20% for a Backyard Flock. GC
I just bought grower/finisher today! I have always used that!!! I also wanted to tell you guys about a question a asked on a organic food....they said not to give it to ducks cuz It was not formulated for ducks. I can just supplement with niacin and probiotics and it should be good right?

The thing that bothers me about the whole grain scratch and peck stuff is the vitamins and minerals. In a crumble or pelleted feed the powdered vitamin and mineral pre-mix is incorporated into the feed. With the whole grain stuff all they can do is pour it on the surface. It may, or may not stick to the grain. What doesn't stick is left as dust in the bottom of the bag. If the vitamins and minerals in the correct proportions were not important then they wouldn't need to use them.

The thing that bothers me about the whole grain scratch and peck stuff is the vitamins and minerals. In a crumble or pelleted feed the powdered vitamin and mineral pre-mix is incorporated into the feed. With the whole grain stuff all they can do is pour it on the surface. It may, or may not stick to the grain. What doesn't stick is left as dust in the bottom of the bag. If the vitamins and minerals in the correct proportions were not important then they wouldn't need to use them.
This is why it's best to ferment (or at least wet) the feed, to get everything to clump together so the birds eat everything. I get almost no waste, so the flock is definitely eating everything in the mix.

If the plan is strictly to dry feed, I would not recommend using a whole grain feed.

Back
Top Bottom