What's the sweetest thing you've ever seen a chicken do?

Two of my RIRs have recently started laying. Flo laid for several days before Elsa started. The first day Elsa laid, they were in nesting boxes next to each other. Flo laid her egg, then went just outside the coop to their porch and sat and waited for Elsa to finish. The whole time Flo made soft purring and clucking sounds, it was like she was reassuring her friend Elsa that everything would be okay. It took Elsa about an hour to lay and Flo never left her post. Once Flo came out, they both ate and drank then went on their way. It was the only time Flo demonstrated that mentoring behavior. I was working on a new run next to the coop the whole time so was able to witness this sweet act.

Two of my RIRs have recently started laying. Flo laid for several days before Elsa started. The first day Elsa laid, they were in nesting boxes next to each other. Flo laid her egg, then went just outside the coop to their porch and sat and waited for Elsa to finish. The whole time Flo made soft purring and clucking sounds, it was like she was reassuring her friend Elsa that everything would be okay. It took Elsa about an hour to lay and Flo never left her post. Once Flo came out, they both ate and drank then went on their way. It was the only time Flo demonstrated that mentoring behavior. I was working on a new run next to the coop the whole time so was able to witness this sweet act.

Awww! I have a hen that went broody and her mother, who has gone broody 3-4 times, sat with her a lot, as if she was giving her advice. It was an amazing hatch as well, so I guess it worked!
smile.png

Be careful with chickens who like to be on your shoulder. They will peck your eyeball. The shininess of your eyeball attracts them. I got my lower lid pecked very hard and my niece did also.

We had a whole bunch of new chicks that we needed to introduce to the big flock, but all of the chickens were chasing them around until one of our Jersey Giant hens took a liking to them and helped fend of all of the other hens. That night, she slept with them to keep them warm. By the next morning, only one of the other chickens bothered the chicks, and then that same hen would protect them. She didn't adopt them, but she certainly helped out!

We had a whole bunch of new chicks that we needed to introduce to the big flock, but all of the chickens were chasing them around until one of our Jersey Giant hens took a liking to them and helped fend of all of the other hens.  That night, she slept with them to keep them warm.  By the next morning, only one of the other chickens bothered the chicks, and then that same hen would protect them.  She didn't adopt them, but she certainly helped out!

Awwwww!

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=6XFFDFUkYfc
I'm hoping this youtube link works. Made a video of one of my daily conversations with "Peanut" (because she is the entire peanut gallery here on the farm!) She always has the desire to come and tell you something! At night, when all the birds have put themselves to bed, when I come out to close the coop, she always hops out, runs out to greet me, and goes on...and on...about - well, I wish I could speak chicken, then I would know!!

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=6XFFDFUkYfc
I'm hoping this youtube link works. Made a video of one of my daily conversations with "Peanut" (because she is the entire peanut gallery here on the farm!) She always has the desire to come and tell you something! At night, when all the birds have put themselves to bed, when I come out to close the coop, she always hops out, runs out to greet me, and goes on...and on...about - well, I wish I could speak chicken, then I would know!!

That's adorable! I wish I could speak chicken too. It would be so cool to hear what they talk about all day!
smile.png

All of the girls know what time we eat dinner and peck at the patio doors for their treet.Tonight our dogs went out and didn't close the door when they came in. My son said "mom, we've got company", and I turned to find my little Buff Cochin, Butter Cup in the kitchen checking out the dogs water and food bowl then stopping at my feet to demand her treat.The dogs looked on in awe as I got her treat ànd said she had to eat outside as I shooed her back outside.

All of the girls know what time we eat dinner and peck at the patio doors for their treet.Tonight our dogs went out and didn't close the door when they came in. My son said "mom, we've got company", and I turned to find my little Buff Cochin, Butter Cup in the kitchen checking out the dogs water and food bowl then stopping at my feet to demand her treat.The dogs looked on in awe as I got her treat ànd said she had to eat outside as I shooed her back outside.

Back
Top Bottom