What's the sweetest thing you've ever seen a chicken do?

Our little Old English Game Bantam loves our Houdans and often helps them preen their top knots and beards. She also cuddles up to them at night.

We bought a Booted Bantam pullet and two Pekin (Cochin) Bantam chicks from a breeder and by the time we got them home the pullet had adopted the chicks (the breeder had put them all together in a box and driven the 3 hours to my neck of the woods). She was a great Mum to them but unfortunately the chicks had to be returned after they turned into boys! But our little Hope is a gorgeous, friendly little thing who loves to be picked up and patted, despite growing up free range at the breeder's. She went broody (after laying for 2 months) and wouldn't give up. I brought her inside thinking the kids attention (and noise) would put her off, but 10 weeks later we have given in and got her some newly hatched Silkie chicks. It was also to cheer us all up after losing one of our 20 week old Pekin Bantams that we'd hatched ourselves (who was the friendliest and sweetest of the bunch). I tried everything but couldn't save her. Our daughter is heartbroken (as am I) so the Silkie chicks are a sweet distraction and one has been named Calypso, like the little girl we lost. Hope is being a wonderful Mum once again.

Our little Old English Game Bantam loves our Houdans and often helps them preen their top knots and beards. She also cuddles up to them at night.

We bought a Booted Bantam pullet and two Pekin (Cochin) Bantam chicks from a breeder and by the time we got them home the pullet had adopted the chicks (the breeder had put them all together in a box and driven the 3 hours to my neck of the woods). She was a great Mum to them but unfortunately the chicks had to be returned after they turned into boys! But our little Hope is a gorgeous, friendly little thing who loves to be picked up and patted, despite growing up free range at the breeder's. She went broody (after laying for 2 months) and wouldn't give up. I brought her inside thinking the kids attention (and noise) would put her off, but 10 weeks later we have given in and got her some newly hatched Silkie chicks. It was also to cheer us all up after losing one of our 20 week old Pekin Bantams that we'd hatched ourselves (who was the friendliest and sweetest of the bunch). I tried everything but couldn't save her. Our daughter is heartbroken (as am I) so the Silkie chicks are a sweet distraction and one has been named Calypso, like the little girl we lost. Hope is being a wonderful Mum once again.

Aww!

During my morning mediation this lady jumped up to be pet like a cat. Too cute!

All three of them come up on my lap to see if I have treats, usually bread. They eat out of my hand and then jump down to roam the yard
(Acre yard) if I stay on my bench long enough they ll come back to check for more treats. If I miss going out during the day they will peck at the patio doors at dinner time. They won't leave until I have brought out a treat. They are spoiled and the dogs are jelous. Too funny
[/IMG]

All three of them come up on my lap to see if I have treats, usually bread. They eat out of my hand and then jump down to roam the yard
(Acre yard) if I stay on my bench long enough they ll come back to check for more treats. If I miss going out during the day they will peck at the patio doors at dinner time. They won't leave until I have brought out a treat. They are spoiled and the dogs are jelous. Too funny
[/URL]

Awww!

My sweet hen story is about a buff orpington named Pumpkin! I got her from a friend who was going to use her as a meat bird :( She was only very young at the time. Of course she had a hard time fitting in with the others, so whenever I would go in the pen to refresh the water and food she would fly onto my shoulder! I found it very funny. She did it almost everyday. Pumpkin always ran to me for protection from the others. Now, she is accepted into the flock and will always run up to me when I am outside. They free range all day and if I am sitting down in the grass Pumpkin immediately runs to me and rests her head on my shoulder like a "chicken hug"! It is just the cutest thing! :D

Back
Top Bottom