When a rooster attacks a person

bburn,

The other 2 (the ones who belong to my daughter, who she loves) are both old english bantams. They are very sweet to her.....for now anyway.

Last edited:
My husband mentioned how often we've seen pictures of kids holding their pet roosters at shows and at home. Does that mean that half of them stay sweet and half get mean?

Last edited:
It all depends upon the bird. Like people, they all have different personalities. Your DD is old enough to understand (I know it's hard, but kids are resilient) that if either or both of them turn mean, they must go. It's a matter of safety for her and your little one. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now - just be prepared. We live on a farm, and my boys took it much better than I did whenever we lost or had to butcher an animal. Just start getting her used to the idea now. I'm guessing that eating either of them wouldn't be an option, so you need to tell her that they will be going somewhere else. Tell her now, and tell her often. Over the years, I've had to teach myself not to get too attached to the animals. It's easier that way when something happens to one of them.

As to your question about "half staying sweet and half turning mean" I don't know if it's quite that simple. The ones you see in pictures are obviously ones that have turned out nice (or are being handled by experienced kids who have grown up with chickens and know how to handle a mean one).

Last edited:
New thought!

If you have a rooster in his own pen by himself with no hens to protect, will he remain sweet, or there's no tellin'?

Quote:
I think much of the aggression is the result of hormones, but it's worth a shot! I had 6 roosters in a pen together, and never had a problem - but they were Brahmas and I think they tend to be more mellow anyway.

Quote:
3 roosters will overmate and make your hens miserable. 1 rooster will be plenty for 10 hens.

I have one rooster that is a turd and one that is a complete gentleman. I never babied either of them, raised them the same, etc. It's an individual thing.

Back
Top Bottom