worming

Pumpkin seeds work by sort of paralyzing the worms temporarily so they can be flushed out of their system when they poop. Papaya seeds are supposed to be good too.
My daughter and a few classmates had gotten a parasite infection (roundworm) from an amusement park trip once. They all fell sick at the same time... 30 kids/family members total. It was terrible.
In the end, the only thing that worked was 3 weeks of albendazole (active ingredient in valbazen) so we also worm the humans in our house twice a year.

I just bought some 8-10 week old pullets yesterday and I see big long white worms in their stool. The stool looks bloody.

What would I treat her with? I am so worried now. First time chicken owner.

How do you dose Safeguard? Do you mix with something for the chicken to eat? These are my first chickens so a newby. I raise Mini Aussie puppies and I use goat Safeguard for them so I have it on hand.

How do you dose Safeguard? Do you mix with something for the chicken to eat? These are my first chickens so a newby. I raise Mini Aussie puppies and I use goat Safeguard for them so I have it on hand.

Welcome to BYC. Use a syringe without a needle to administer the safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken once a day for 5 days straight. It's best to worm them early in the mornings prior to feeding them, the wormer will be more effective.

Welcome to BYC. Use a syringe without a needle to administer the safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is 1/2cc given orally undiluted to each chicken once a day for 5 days straight. It's best to worm them early in the mornings prior to feeding them, the wormer will be more effective.

OMG. I am not prepared for this. They won't even let me near them. They hide under the coop and I can't get under there without crawling through their wormy poop!

OMG. I am not prepared for this. They won't even let me near them. They hide under the coop and I can't get under there without crawling through their wormy poop!

From how many sides do they have access to get under there? Block all but one, flush them out (a long handled broom, lunge whip, etc is great for this - anything that you can use to gently "push" them along in the direction you wish them to go) into an enclosed area and then block the entrance you just moved them out of - now they are not able to hide under there. From there start shrinking the area they are in either by moving them towards a corner and penning them in with a barrier or moving them into the coop and closing that up. Once they are in a small, confined area that you can easily access you can catch them up, one by one, and do what needs to be done.

*or* - wait until evening when they go to roost -- close up the coop and you can easily pick them up, no muss/no fuss, to do what needs doing.

Last edited:
Definitely easier to worm them at night. I prefer to catch them one at a time when letting them out of their house early in the morning. First one that walks out on the ramp, I snatch her up and she gets dosed and released...then the next one etc...

Back
Top Bottom