For this recipe, you’ll need boneless skinless chicken breasts. I brown the breasts before I put them in the oven, it takes a few extra minutes but I feel like the added flavor is so worth it.
After the chicken is golden brown and crispy, it goes into a baking dish with some lemon juice, butter, garlic, herbs, and chicken broth. If you have an oven proof skillet, you can simply brown the chicken breasts, pour the sauce over the top and bake directly in the skillet instead of transferring the chicken to a baking dish.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s so easy to bake as few or as many chicken breasts as you need. You can bake 2 or 20 chicken breasts, same process!
The final step is to add a little chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices. This baked lemon chicken is best served over rice, mashed potatoes or pasta. Be sure to spoon all that extra sauce at the bottom of the baking dish over the chicken when you serve it; the sauce is the best part!
I often make extra chicken to chop up and use in other recipes during the week. It’s a great basic chicken that works in so many dishes like casseroles, soups, and pasta.
This baked lemon chicken is coated in a butter and herb sauce, then roasted to perfection. A super easy dinner option that even the pickiest eaters will enjoy!
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- lemon slices for serving optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt, pepper, and the Italian seasoning.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butter, garlic, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Pour the butter mixture over the chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Bake time may vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- Spoon the sauce on the bottom of the baking dish over the chicken, then sprinkle with parsley and serve. Garnish with lemon slices if desired.
- When I make this recipe I use chicken breasts that are about 1 inch thick. If you use thinner chicken breasts, be sure to decrease the bake time accordingly.
Calories: 271kcal | Protein: 30g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 113mg | Sodium: 293mg | Potassium: 536mg | Vitamin A: 6.1% | Vitamin C: 6.8% | Calcium: 1.8% | Iron: 3.9%