I’ve made mistakes.
This is the first time in my life to have chickens (and ducks). We purchased four chicks and two ducklings in the Spring of 2018. Two of the chicks ended up male, both ducks are female. They spent their first months in our basement. Then a small coop that was so high I had to lift them in and out.
They outgrew the first coop so I bought a pre-fab from a box store, and separated out the ducks. Unfortunately I put the coops in an area that water pooled after storms (especially since they decimated the grass). Most of the Summer and early Fall of 2018 was rainy so I quickly realized it would be worse in the winter.
Enter the resin shed.
I chose a resin shed as the next phase of housing because of the price, and my ability to assemble. My husband helped me with the foundation.
I was able to piece the walls and doors together on my own. I did need help with the roof and my Dad showed up just in time.
I had a lot of support from the audience as I made the roosts, nesting boxes, and storage area. I think I heard some laughter as well.
After the first night I had to replace one roost, and secure the nest boxes better. I zip tied the nest boxes together and used the anchors that came with the building to secure them to the walls. I used the same anchors to hang the roosts. I screwed the anchors to the boards, then hung them.
I found an old rocker for children and made a nest in it. I put a round hanging basket in, then filled with straw. It worked!
I also cut more ventilation. I expanded the vents in the back, and cut more above the door. I chose the doors because they do not seem to fill a structural role in the building, and the spot is higher than the roosts. If my math is correct, I need five feet of ventilation in the building. I don't quite have that yet. I may need more in the heat of summer (it is mid October now), but I have time to plan for that.
I am waiting for the pop doors to be delivered. I hope to have the new run finished up before Halloween.
I'll add more as things progress.