Wandering dog spray-painted 'Go Home'

V Chic Chick

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Bristol, England
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070502/ap_on_fe_st/odd_spray_painted_dog;_ylt=AllAWvjXJBr5SfVbkRewU34uQE4F

CHUBBUCK
, Idaho - Animal control officers had to decide if they were investigating vandalism or animal mistreatment after someone spray-painted a dog. A resident reported that he found the words "Go Home" spray-painted on the sides of his large white dog late last month.

The animal had been allowed to roam freely, Capt. Mike Sanders said.

"An animal like that is domestic property, so technically that's vandalism," Sanders said. "It's really not the dog's fault. He's just doing what dogs do."

It could have been worse, Sanders said. Idaho law requires an unfenced dog to be either on a leash or under supervision of its master. And landowners are allowed to shoot a trespassing dog if that dog is harassing livestock.

Sanders said detectives have not determined who spray-painted the animal. They decided to drop the case, partly because the dog's owner shouldn't have let the dog roam free.

It's both inappropriate and unusual to paint a dog, Sanders said.

"It's a little novel. It's different in the respect that it sends a message," Sanders said. "That's what always appealed to me about this work: It stays interesting."

Boy they sound like a bunch of sharpies
roll.png

It's not the dog's fault it was allowed to roam free....and a person (or persons) spray painted the dog.....they didn't just shoot and kill it, they spray painted it.....

Personally (even if the owner was at fault) I'd be interested in what type of redneck(s) spray paints a dog...you never know when the info on that report will come in handy down the road......

Ahh well.....back to what's now important...sippie cups and teaching yardwork today
smile.png

A 'Redneck' is the one who spray painted the dog?

Have you ever had a large unwanted dog frequenting your house? As the article states, the 'redneck' could most likely have legally shot the dog and killed it. I for one love themessage sent to the dogs owner. Dog was not punished(sort of) bykilling it. The owner had to clean the dog, or most likely the uncaring owner just let the dog run around being spray painted.

I think this was a creative, unique, humane way of dealing with the problem....I might try it some day.....

I think that was a good idea for the person to send a message to the owner too, seeing as how the dog is allowed to roam freely. Spray paint is better than never seeing it again, unless of course the owners doesn't care.

omg i love it gave me an idea he he he ......thats pretty darn funny
smile.png

wonder what the neighbors would do if i spray painted their pitt bull who ate my chickens? rofl if i get brave enough i may just do it roflmao thanks for sharing

I have mixed feelings about this. Of course, my initial reaction was something similar to 'oh no! Someone spray painted a poor dog who was only doing what dogs do!' Then I continued reading and I quite like the message sent. Whoever did this was allowed, by law, to shoot the trespassing dog, and I would take a bit of spray paint over that any day. Hopefully the owner of the dog actually takes the message to heart and takes steps to keeping his pet off of others' property.

While I agree to the humor in this...I really do...I also agree it's not the dogs fault but doubt spray paint on the fur is going to cause him serious harm.....actually ...the time it took to spray him...he probably enjoyed the attention if he doesn't get any from his owner!!! But... it seems that this would 9 times out of 10 only make the situation worse. However...can't we all relate on all sides of this one....it is just unfortunate that it came to that!

Sorry if I offended anyone here with that comment....that wasn't my intent.....

And yeah I have dogs in my yard from time to time.....and I feel it's the owners fault rather than the dogs.....where I'm from the owner is held responsible, not the dog......dogs do what dogs do when they get the chance.....

Ooooh - this is a hard one! My initial reaction was shock, but then I started thinking...
Currently I have some sort of large lab cross that visits my house every evening and often later into the night. So far he has never been by when my chickens are outside (I only free-range when I am home and outside), but he shows way too much interest in the birds from the other side of the pen. He has been zapped by my fence multiple times, so he leaves that alone, but I know he'd grab a bird if she were loose in the yard. I have spent way too much of my time trying to follow that dog home to see who owns it (he has a collar, but no tags). I did staple a note to his collar once saying what a nuisance he was, but who knows if that ever made it home, as I never got a call back.
Now, I am not without guilt in this area. I have an old beagle mix, and anyone who has ever owned a hound knows that some smells are just too much for them to resist, and they sometimes just wander off. Knowing my dog has this tendency, she goes on a runner if I'm not out with her. If we are hiking, or out in the yard where she is loose but there is the possibility I may get preoccupied and lose track of her, I put a bright orange pinney on her, and emblazoned across the side is my phone number. That way, if people see her they don't have to actually catch her to find out her phone number. Of course, my dog doesn't kill things either. If she did, she'd never be loose a day in her life.

Back
Top Bottom