What are you canning now?

Quote:
- Add a can of tomato paste to thicken it.
- Typical herbs/spices for salsa recipes are cilantro, cumin, garlic, oregano, black pepper.
- Did you use any peppers - some sweet bell or banana, and a few hot like anaheim, hot banana or jalapeno.
- It also needs some acidity to get the salsa flavor. At least the lime juice - but I usually put ACV in mine. (The Salsa Verde recipe I use is lime or lemon juice, no vinegar.)

Hope this is helpful....Kim

I put it all through colander and got enough juice out of it so its the right consistency now. I added cilantro and garlic, salt and sugar as spices and some jalapeno peppers for some zing. My DH was brave enough to taste it after I strained it and he says its not bad. A little heavy on the cilantro. Not great but he'll still eat it. I will add the lime juice tonight and see if that helps too. I won't be canning this batch obviously but I would like to get it to where I like it so I am able to can the next batch. My main problem was figuring out how many tomatoes to use. Like I said, I wanted it smooth and not chunky so when it called for x quarts of tomatoes, was that whole, chopped or pureed? After I peeled, cored and seeded the tomatoes I filled my blender almost 3 times full. Not packed in. Then I think I put in 5 or 6 small to xtra small onions, 6 jalepenos with seeds, 1/2 C sugar, 1/4 C salt and 3 tsp. garlic and then the cilantro. I think thats all that went in. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Again, not to be pushy or butt in on what you want to do - but please take a look at my post #3459. I attached some links for tested Salsa recipes and may be one of those might fit with what you are trying accomplish. Salsa can be tricky and needs to be made properly.

Sandee

Here is our finished Fig Preserves:
14084_fig_jam.jpg

I have a question about corn for you guys, you may know...

I shucked the corn and removed as much of the silkies as I could, then scraped off the corn into bits with a knife. Now I have a bowl full of tiny bits of silkies and corn. How the heck do you get rid of all those tiny silks?!?!

Quote:
I put it all through colander and got enough juice out of it so its the right consistency now. I added cilantro and garlic, salt and sugar as spices and some jalapeno peppers for some zing. My DH was brave enough to taste it after I strained it and he says its not bad. A little heavy on the cilantro. Not great but he'll still eat it. I will add the lime juice tonight and see if that helps too. I won't be canning this batch obviously but I would like to get it to where I like it so I am able to can the next batch. My main problem was figuring out how many tomatoes to use. Like I said, I wanted it smooth and not chunky so when it called for x quarts of tomatoes, was that whole, chopped or pureed? After I peeled, cored and seeded the tomatoes I filled my blender almost 3 times full. Not packed in. Then I think I put in 5 or 6 small to xtra small onions, 6 jalepenos with seeds, 1/2 C sugar, 1/4 C salt and 3 tsp. garlic and then the cilantro. I think thats all that went in. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Again, not to be pushy or butt in on what you want to do - but please take a look at my post #3459. I attached some links for tested Salsa recipes and may be one of those might fit with what you are trying accomplish. Salsa can be tricky and needs to be made properly.

Sandee

Sandee - thanks for the links. I had missed that post, but I'm always looking for more recipes! Good point about the safety aspects of canning salsa. Here's a link to post #3459 for others who are interested.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4551115#p4551115

Bockbock2008 - Here's a tested recipe we personally like that originally came from Ball's freshpreserving.com website. It's a good, basic salsa - safe to BWB can.

Zesty Salsa
Makes about 6 (16 oz) pints or 12 (8 oz) half pints

10 cups chopped cored peeled tomatoes (about 25 medium)
5 cups chopped seeded green bell peppers (about 4 large)
5 cups chopped onions (about 6 to 8 medium)
2-1/2 cups chopped seeded chili peppers, such as hot banana, Hungarian wax, serrano or jalapeño (about 13 medium)
1-1/4 cups cider vinegar
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp hot pepper sauce, optional

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.
2.)COMBINE tomatoes, green peppers, onions, chili peppers, vinegar, garlic, cilantro, salt and hot pepper sauce, if using, in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
3.) LADLE hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot salsa. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.
4.) PROCESS both pint and half pint jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool.

Last edited:
I whacked my basil down about two feet and made a batch of pesto. I decided not to can it though and froze it in ice cube trays instead - a "cube" or two of pesto is just right for pasta for my kids and myself.

wee.gif
My wonderful husband is home canning all by himself.
celebrate.gif
We have been canning more together this year and he has decided that he wants to do it on his own. He is canning Jalapenos. No you can't have him but I will rent him out for a price
gig.gif

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom