What are you canning now?

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
DH will can or freeze alone as well. I hadn't thought of renting him out. Hmmmmmmmm! there's an idea.

That reminds me of....
A few weeks ago a neighbor/friend came by on a Friday evening after I had baked breads for market all day. Of course the house smelled heavenly. He bought a loaf of bread, still warm, then tore into it immediately - didn't even ask for a knife. LOL. After he went home, his wife called a little later, got DH on the phone and says "John wants to swap wives with you. He says your wife cooks!" We had a large time with that one for awhile.

Quote:
I have not done the recipes but I would say just cook it and the tomatoes will soften on their own and become blended in the cooking process. Please let us know how they come out.

Sandee

I don't blend mine because we like a somewhat chunky product. But if you like it smoother, then yes, I would put it through a blender, food processor, or food mill. It will definitely be thinner at first, but you can cook it down to thicken it.

Quote:
You kill me!!!!
ep.gif

Quote:
Holy Smoke....now that's a day's work! Hope you had a great market day. Ours was fabulous!

I confess I havent the patience to read thru all 351 pages; is here someone who can point me to a post or info about canning peaches? We have some fabulous white peaches right now that are fairly inexpensive, and Id love to do something with them. Any ideas?

Hit the farmers market this morning. Got some okra, corn and pink eye purple hull peas that'll be wonderful for Sunday super (son even volunteered to help with the shelling *gasp*)

Then there were a hearty crop of pickling cucs. Since we're already down to just two pints from my first batch, after giving one to Sis, one to In Laws, two to friends, and our eating, I'm going to make up some more of those. I'm thinking maybe this time I'll do some slices and some spears, maybe even some (of the smaller ones) whole.

Fruit wise:

They had some blueberries, so one batch is in the dehydrator and the other will make nummy blueberry pancakes in the morning.

They also had a great prices on the most delicious smelling strawberries, so I'll be making some jam with those. Earlier I tried the freezer strawberry jam, quite tastey, so now I'm going up a step to full on canning it.

Last in the fruit line up was a watermelon. So, I think I might just try to make the Rind Jelly I saw the recipe for.

Those are my tasks for tomorrow, wish me luck! I really LOVE this topic. Not that my little batches are anything on what so many of you guys do, but it is nice to have a place to mention my small achievements and not have people looking at me like I just crawled out of hte backwoods shack!

Well, got bored so I went ahead and got the blueberries dehydrating, canned up 4 quarts (2 sliced 2 spears) of pickles, and canned up 2 pints and 4 half-pints of Strawberry Jam... with a good smidge leftover that I think I'll mix with the leftover ones for a great pancake topping on those proposed blueberry pancakes... and of course they'll accompany some fresh eggs.

I'm loving this chicken keeping & canning thing... SO glad I found BYC!

Everyone is so busy canning -imagine all those pinging lids.
smile.png

Does anyone have a tried, true, and tested Rotel tomato type recipe to share. We have Jalapeno peppers galore and the tomatoes are ripening. I thought this would be a nice change from our salsa sometimes.
I found several while searching, but I would like one that comes with a good recommendation. Many of the recipes called for sugar, sometimes as much as 2 cups for 1 gallon of tomatoes. That sounds like it might be too sweet.

Thanks so much~

Happy canning!

2 cups sugar for 1 gallon of tomatoes does sound a bit sweet.

This is the recipe I use:

RoTel Tomatoes

1 gallon ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 large green bell peppers, chopped
8 hot peppers, chopped
3/4 cup vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon salt

Mix all ingredients together and cook 45 minutes. Put into hot sterilized jars. Seal and process in hot water bath for 20 minutes.

Answered your PM late yesterday. Hope your pepper rings turned out great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom