What are you canning now?

Getting ready for tomorrow's market. So I need to jam today...
Maraschino Peach
Sugar Free Peach
Cherry
Root Beer (it's called Jelly Bean Jelly in the Ball book)
Blueberry
Raspberry, Blackberry, Blueberry
Yeah I am a total procrastinator. I do this every week; wait until the last minute. Usually on Friday's I can 40-50 jars. I make about 30 during the week. I sell about 60-70 each Saturday.

Quote:
You kill me!!!!
ep.gif

One last question. I printed all the recipes from Sandee and the one from kim_nc and will give one or several of those a try this weekend. They all call for chopped tomatoes and onions. After I measure out what I need, can I run most of it through the blender before I cook it? Or will I be back to my runny mess?

Quote:
How do you 40-50 jars a day? That is amazing
bow.gif
No seriously I would like to know so I can improve my production. I can do two batches at once and only do 24 1/2 at a time in my 23 qt canner. Do you use two canners? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sandee

Quote:
I have not done the recipes but I would say just cook it and the tomatoes will soften on their own and become blended in the cooking process. Please let us know how they come out.

Sandee

Quote:
How do you 40-50 jars a day? That is amazing
bow.gif
No seriously I would like to know so I can improve my production. I can do two batches at once and only do 24 1/2 at a time in my 23 qt canner. Do you use two canners? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sandee

It takes me all day. I prep the fruit all week and I put it in containers so all I have to do is dump, cook, add pectin, sugar, process, repeat. I usually have two different batches of jam going at the same time though staggered an one canner. Once I have added the sugar to the first batch I start the second batch. By the time the second batch needs sugar, I add the sugar and then start pouring the first batch into jars and process them. Once they are in the canner the second batch is finishing up, then I pour into jars.....take the other jars out, put second batch into canner. Relax a minute check out what's on BYC. Timer beeps take out second batch. I start a third batch, usually this is a jelly because at this point I only have one pot left and it conveniently has a pour spout (I only have two funnels). While this batch is in the canner, I load the dishwasher and get the next couple boxes of jars ready to be sterilized. Then I have about a 40 min break before I start the next three batches, which is right now.

So since my first post this morning I have completed 28 Jars. I'll eat dinner (husband's cooking tonight
thumbsup.gif
) and then I will make 3 more batches. After that I will label (just print and stick), pack and get ready for the market in the morning. I'll get to bed between 11 and 12.

Preparation is key to this process.

Wow you are amazing! I made a real BIG boo boo. I lost my canning book. But I had a bunch of corn to put up. so I guesed 10 lbs. presuer for 30 minutes. WRONG boy am I dumb. 2 quarts spoiled allready. So should I dump it or freeze it??? It is a week old allready. Lisa

Quote:
I would make it as stated. Have you tried putting it in the blender real quick AFTER you open the jar, just before you eat it? I'd try it that way if you like smooth salsas. Good luck - let us know how you make out!

I was in the middle of pickle canning and a severe storm just moved through. It was one of the worst I've seen in years, so I left it all and headed for the basement with the dogs!
hide.gif
I'm so glad I had the radio on today and heard the warning in time to get the chickens back in the run/coop!! Seems we have some tornado damage up the road!

Power is still flickering - I'll wait awhile and hope I can finish up these pickles!

Back
Top Bottom