➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Washing them is also something I do, that’s when I use the Swarfega with the toothbrush to scrape all the crap off!

It’s always worked great for me. All my chickens are well handled so treating them isn’t an issue if I ever had to, it’s just the quails which aren’t impressed.

I’m happy their legs are looking so much better already though. I have invermectin but I don’t use it on the birds when other people are eating their eggs etc.
How many chickens do you have? I'm always impressed when people have whole flocks that are tame. I have a few bantams that ride around on my hands and sit on my lap, but the LF and the guineas are pretty wild. They're good until one attempts to handle them, which is when they start leaving bloody welts down my arms!

How many chickens do you have? I'm always impressed when people have whole flocks that are tame. I have a few bantams that ride around on my hands and sit on my lap, but the LF and the guineas are pretty wild. They're good until one attempts to handle them, which is when they start leaving bloody welts down my arms!

Currently all together we have 35 chickens! My silkies are all ‘fully tame’ allowing me to do literally anything but I always handle them for showing. The more free-range flock we have isn’t as tame as the silkies but they are still tame and will let us pick them up and check them over etc, they just see us as a good thing with food half the time so it’s a win win! 😆 One of them is too friendly though, she follows us everywhere and will sit on ours heads, she’s just overly nosey...

Not all our chickens come friendly, most are pretty ‘wild’ when we get them but we just work with them and give them some time. They soon learn we aren’t going to harm them.

I’ve never had guineas but there was some at our old caravan park and you could never get within 10m of them and they’d be off! I can imagine the struggle you have with those :eek:

I know not all of my birds will appreciate being handled at first etc but if my reason for handling them is for their own welfare because they require a treatment etc then I will hold them. Such as these Bobwhites, they don’t like me holding them one bit but treating their legs and getting them over and done with will be better for them in the long run rather than me not bothering because they don’t want to be picked up. If it was something minor that would heal itself then I would keep away from handling so they don’t stress. In their eyes I’m a big meanie coming to eat them but all I’m doing it trying to help them:gig

I think this helps a lot.

Definitely! Plus it helps in general by cleaning up their feet fully so you can see what you are working with. Really helps with some of those stubborn scales too.

Just sold 8 of the falb fee babies to a mom whose young kid has a 4H poultry project. It was really stinkin cute to see the girl's reaction to seeing baby quail for the first time. :love
That, and it'll sure be nice to have less little poopers around! I swear I clean it and the second I turn around their brooder is filthy again :barnie

Nothing better than seeing someone reaction when they call to pick up their new birds! Makes it all worth it.

Chicks are masters of messy 😂

Hi all. I’ve been away forever but thought I would jump back in to say hello. I’ve read a few pages of back posts and see some familiar names and some new ones. Looks like the long term crew is still recruiting new quail (suckers) lovers.

This winter has reaffirmed that I am a fair weather “farmer” and I don’t have plans to over winter a flock again. I lost two of twelve to what I assume was cold exposure. One was getting over mated pretty heavily and had some feather loss.

I really enjoy the hatching and spending time in the yard when it is nice so will just focus on that during the warm months.:jumpy

Look who’s been in the wars today...

Hugo always gets super excited to see me and he hops and skips about in his hutch. However, when I was filling up his food he got overly excited and jumped into the corner where his bridge is and his toe stuck between the hinge of the door and where it shuts.

He pulled away and it pulled the skin off the side of his toe, then he didn’t look impressed one bit and just came and sat in my hands.

I cleaned it up and it’s stopped bleeding but obviously it’s pretty sore and bruised but other than that it’s alright. He just needs to calm down.

Damn it seems lately now all my quails have gammy feet :lau guess he felt left out!

The window is his favourite spot and he goes into this weird trance when he’s looking out of it.

71F929D1-04B7-4B6B-9CFE-1D8021E04882.jpeg

4295EDFC-B9C6-4243-A6FA-AC5E79CCA83E.jpeg

38C6ECD4-E617-4045-9BBB-3BE8083B1ADA.jpeg

Hi all. I’ve been away forever but thought I would jump back in to say hello. I’ve read a few pages of back posts and see some familiar names and some new ones. Looks like the long term crew is still recruiting new quail (suckers) lovers.

This winter has reaffirmed that I am a fair weather “farmer” and I don’t have plans to over winter a flock again. I lost two of twelve to what I assume was cold exposure. One was getting over mated pretty heavily and had some feather loss.

I really enjoy the hatching and spending time in the yard when it is nice so will just focus on that during the warm months.:jumpy

I don’t think I’ve ever met you on here but I’ll say hello and welcome back! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom