āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

We're also stepping into lockdown. Though I was rushing so my picture is after the lid came back on.
20200729_220643.jpg

Ryn.

Got a question for you all,
The whole, fertile vs. Clear thing.
I had 7 of our eggs not enter lockdown,
One had a blood ring and 6 were very light. I opened all seven and can tell the blood ring was an early quitter...for the other six, four looked like a slight tannish tint and two looked the same but the center was a much darker brown. Does this mean I had two quit ~day 2 or 3? Or do they usually just brown if they are infertile? I have seen chicks fail midway through, but not early/infertile like this....

One had a blood ring and 6 were very light. I opened all seven and can tell the blood ring was an early quitter...for the other six, four looked like a slight tannish tint and two looked the same but the center was a much darker brown. Does this mean I had two quit ~day 2 or 3? Or do they usually just brown if they are infertile? I have seen chicks fail midway through, but not early/infertile like this....
infertile eggs look like the eggs you eat. No real color change.

Yes, early quitters will have a speck of blood that I guess could look tannish. Not sure what you are referring to. Care to post pictures?

Pics?

My clear eggs.... When I crack them open on day 8 or 9 or whatever there's no color change.

I'm guessing there could be some color change in the yolk if the eggs were really old but I think if you're seeing color change then it would have to be a quitter.

Lastly, I know in chickens/poultry for shows and keeping track of them people use bands (we also use them in pigeons) but what about for quail? I've always been pretty good at being able to identify individuals from a group but I imagine it could get difficult if for example you had a group of Whites and they all more or less look the same, do people use bands on quail? Thank you! :)

I'm a newbie. I bought bands for mine. Size #4 from Stromberg's chickens. Each hatch gets its own color. Hens on right leg, roos on left leg. I wanted an easy way to track age & sex. Some of our birds are from celedon eggs, and require vent checks.

I'm a newbie. I bought bands for mine. Size #4 from Stromberg's chickens. Each hatch gets its own color. Hens on right leg, roos on left leg. I wanted an easy way to track age & sex. Some of our birds are from celedon eggs, and require vent checks.

I need to band Quails for exebitions. I have to use official closed rings with 6mm, which have to put on at an age of 7-9 days.

20200505_164454.jpg

But there are also colored rings in 6mm you can open and close, to keep track.
6mm is the size you got to use for Coturnix.

Back
Top Bottom