➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

View attachment 2343293My rooster that I saved apparently got attacked by the other birds and it looks terrible. Should I kill it or will it probably heal
i would separate and treat the wound (a bit of neosporin or blukote) and he should heal in a few weeks. you can give him a friend if you have one very docile after a couple of days if necessary......just watch closely if you do.

Found this at garage sale and this is where my sick birds will go to recover just need to paint it to matchthink it’s for potatoes/onions ect....

Attachments

• E2892D54-4836-4C2B-9EA1-6C92B2344AC9.jpeg
    E2892D54-4836-4C2B-9EA1-6C92B2344AC9.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 16
i would separate and treat the wound (a bit of neosporin or blukote) and he should heal in a few weeks. you can give him a friend if you have one very docile after a couple of days if necessary......just watch closely if you do.
If you can set his hospital cage near the main cage, that will keep him happier. He should heal up fine. If you don't have blukote, veterycin is good too & won't make his little head all greasy like neosporin does (greasy won't hurt him; I just think it's kind of ick). Never use salves with pain relief in. If you do use the blukote, wear disposable gloves on BOTH hands and ware you don't stain your clothes!

Before I let a recovered bird back into genpop, I like to mist it with bitter apple spray in case anyone decides to take a bite out of it. You'll find it with the doggy stuff—to discourage chewing.

I was looking for spray neosporin but don’t think they make it tomorrow I’ll go to store for animals and get some meds.

Like the idea of the bitter taste does that realy work?

chick update.....i’m at 27/31 as of this afternoon.....lost a wild runt yesterday and 3 whites committed suicide today by getting themselves “stuck” between the brooder plate leg and the brooder wall (the reason i detest brooder plates with quail chicks!!)

Had birds hatch today started with 14 eggs 11 hatched one got trapped under the wire and drowned but I have one that does not look right. Going to leave last 3 eggs in incubator for another day to see if they hatch

Attachments

• 4B443D77-69A8-4260-B56B-EDA6A1DE1770.jpeg
    4B443D77-69A8-4260-B56B-EDA6A1DE1770.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 10
  • C713E727-444E-4A7A-99C7-A092CE6F0EAC.jpeg
    C713E727-444E-4A7A-99C7-A092CE6F0EAC.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was looking for spray neosporin but don’t think they make it tomorrow I’ll go to store for animals and get some meds.

Like the idea of the bitter taste does that realy work?
Someone had posted a thread about spraying them with ACV and then combining. I tried that, and for about 20 minutes I stayed out there watching, and sniper sprayed anyone who tried to cause issues, then I went back out once an hour for reminders, but after 2 hours no one needed reminding. I combined a group of about 6 week olds with 3 and 1/2 week olds 11 and 14 birds that had never seen each other before, and have had no issues. They’ve been together over a week now with no problems. The extra boys are leaving this Saturday for a new home so I hope to maintain the peace until then.

Back
Top Bottom