āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Buttons and yes i was surprised the first time i got these too here i have old pics that old shipment only one celadon survived the mail but here u go it was a pretty blue and all the other eggs are celadon on the inside
There are 3 possible reasons for the blue egg from a normally brown or dark colored egg laying hen.

1. The paint department had a malfunction.

2. The hen has reached the end of her egg laying for the season, although buttons usually will lay year round, even if not given artificial lighting.

3. The hen is at the end of her reproductive/ egg laying life.

There are 3 possible reasons for the blue egg from a normally brown or dark colored egg laying hen.

1. The paint department had a malfunction.

2. The hen has reached the end of her egg laying for the season, although buttons usually will lay year round, even if not given artificial lighting.

3. The hen is at the end of her reproductive/ egg laying life.
So ur trying to say celadon button quail aren't a thing ?

Seemed like the perfect place to ask since so many experienced people are on this post so my question is if you get a mixed batch of hatching eggs from a seller who has his button quails in colonies o.o and u keep a pair and they breed are the genetics fine ?
The probability of them being related is great. Since the import ban, there hasn't been any new blood imported to the U.S.
So it really doesn't matter where you get your birds or eggs from...North, South, East or West, the chances of the birds being related or even distantly related are a very real possibility.

It would take several generations of breeding siblings to siblings and then breeding their offspring to eachother to notice any appreciable increase in genetic deformities.

So ur trying to say celadon button quail aren't a thing ?
Anything is possible....but if they did exist? there would be breeders advertising them as such!
Buttons have been in domestication for hundreds of years....the Chinese, originally started domesticating them, so if there were a variety that laid celadon eggs consistently and bred 'true', there would be alot of breeders selling them.

Here's the definition of how celadon quail eggs come about.

Celadon quail eggs are laid by Coturnix quail who carry an uncommon, recessive gene, identified as the ā€œceā€ gene. The ā€œceā€ gene is what's called an ā€œautosomal recessive geneā€. This means that in order for it to be expressed by laying blue eggs, the female laying the eggs must posses two copies of the gene.

Last edited:
Yep
Anything is possible....but if they did exist? there would be breeders advertising them as such!
Buttons have been in domestication for hundreds of years....the Chinese, originally started domesticating them, so if there were a variety that laid celadon eggs consistently and bred 'true', there would be alot of breeders selling them.

Here's the definition of how celadon quail eggs come about.

Celadon quail eggs are laid by Coturnix quail who carry an uncommon, recessive gene, identified as the ā€œceā€ gene. The ā€œceā€ gene is what's called an ā€œautosomal recessive geneā€. This means that in order for it to be expressed by laying blue eggs, the female laying the eggs must posses two copies of the gene.
Read all that before doesn't mean its not possible and like i said the eggs are all blue inside when u crack them wouldn't that indicate that they have half the gene and this seller sends two normally that are both blue in and out wouldnt that mean it has both gene's the "ce" gene here is a picture of some that didn't make it more then a few days so you can see šŸ˜‰

Attachments

• 20200701_121218.jpg
    20200701_121218.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 8
the eggs are all blue inside when u crack them wouldn't that indicate that they have half the gene

I think most button eggs are blue inside, I know the ones mine lay are.

I didn't realise they usually lay year round, I've been concerned that all 3 of my hens are still popping out an egg every day! Doesn't this shorten their life expectancy? I'm wondering if there's anything that will help them slow down at least over winter. They all make nests but none have decided to stop and sit on them.

I didn't realise they usually lay year round, I've been concerned that all 3 of my hens are still popping out an egg every day! Doesn't this shorten their life expectancy? I'm wondering if there's anything that will help them slow down at least over winter. They all make nests but none have decided to stop and sit on them.
I actually kept mine in a dark room, barely any ambient light. They still layed an egg everyday. And yes, laying an egg everyday, 365, does shorten their lifespan. The longest I had one live was 6 years.

Need to add here, that keeping them in a near totally dark room is also detrimental to their health....they need sunlight to be healthy! You can compensate somewhat for this by giving vitamin D3 and calcium citrate but it's not as effective as sunlight.

Yep

Read all that before doesn't mean its not possible and like i said the eggs are all blue inside when u crack them wouldn't that indicate that they have half the gene and this seller sends two normally that are both blue in and out wouldnt that mean it has both gene's the "ce" gene here is a picture of some that didn't make it more then a few days so you can see šŸ˜‰
As far as I know, buttonquail eggs are Blue on the inside. There is a difference between button quail and buttonquail. Coturnix are sometimes called button quail but the 'true' button's are spelled buttonquail.
There hasn't been a whole lot of scientific studies done on buttonquail but I think if the 'ce' gene was present in buttonquail, some researchers would have conducted DNA and other genetic studies to determine if they had the autosomal recessive gene, it is an uncommon gene and as far as I can tell, have researched, it doesn't exist in buttonquail.

Back
Top Bottom