➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I have 10:2 in my 20+ square foot ground pens. I have to work to get the right combination of boys, though. It usually works best if the whole group was raised together from hatch.
I can’t decide what to do. I think I’ll try and keep them all together and just pull out aggressive ones as they show themselves and males if they have a color pattern that’s sexable.

couple more ?s

I cannot find anything on space as they grow. How much space do I need at 2/4/6 weeks?

temperate climate, but it’s November we will have come and go nights in the low 40s. When can they go outside WITH a heat plate?

I can’t decide what to do. I think I’ll try and keep them all together and just pull out aggressive ones as they show themselves and males if they have a color pattern that’s sexable.

couple more ?s

I cannot find anything on space as they grow. How much space do I need at 2/4/6 weeks?

temperate climate, but it’s November we will have come and go nights in the low 40s. When can they go outside WITH a heat plate?
You're going to hear a lot of answers to this. In my opinion, you can keep them pretty crowded until they're 2-3 weeks old. After that they should have a minimum of 1 square foot/bird, the more the better. Remember to subtract the space that you use for feeders, waterers, etc. from your square footage. There are people who give them less space and say it's just fine, but I don't think they're happy like that.

@Enthusiast Is this a cinnamon? Her eyes look like they're burgundy coloured.
1031201103a.jpg

Is it better to make 5:1 individual groups or can you put 10:2 into a bigger space?
I’m probably at a 20:30 ratio currently!!?? Given enough space I don’t get concerned unless I start seeing too many bald hens this close to winter or the crowing overpowers the karaoke!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

couple more ?s

With a plate I would wait until 2 weeks??? With a lamp I would say week 1! And then leave plate on through week 3 and then taper to only on cold nights week 4 if necessary (but probably won’t be in Texas)

couple more ?s

I keep them with a lamp through 2 weeks. By then they are feathered and out they go.

I agree with BeeKey. Crowded through 2 weeks in the brooder. I usually go by smell. The more in there, the quicker they get evicted. I shut the 3 week olds in the enclosed portion of the coop and they huddled for warmth. They just weren't quite smart enough to stay in there themselves.

It's our first time incubating and we are still learning as we go. Today we started lockdown and we candled while we had them out to set into the incubator with the non slip shelf liner we put in. I couldn't see anything except larger air cells. Does this mean the eggs are full of developed chicks or that my light simply isn't bright enough to see through the paint now that they have had plenty of growing time? They all looked good on the previous candling date. I wasn't really sure what to look for for a "quitter".

It's our first time incubating and we are still learning as we go. Today we started lockdown and we candled while we had them out to set into the incubator with the non slip shelf liner we put in. I couldn't see anything except larger air cells. Does this mean the eggs are full of developed chicks or that my light simply isn't bright enough to see through the paint now that they have had plenty of growing time? They all looked good on the previous candling date. I wasn't really sure what to look for for a "quitter".
If all you can see is the air cell, odds are good that the rest of the egg is filled with chick. An early quitter will show a lot of clear space. A late quitter is really hard to tell from a good egg at this point, so if I have any doubts I leave them in.

Back
Top Bottom