➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Everyone is done, 4 didnt pip at all. there was 1 egg that must have cracked when I moved them, it was a late quitter, and 3 other mid to late quitters. The last chick only zipped 2/3 and tried to get out, got stuck overnite and shrink wrapped that way, it’s out now but probably needs shoes, the 2nd to last out is a double silver, so it has like a 50/50 chance of surviving after it uses up its yolk, but all in all, 36, with 34 healthy, out of 40. I only had 3 at lockdown that were duds, besides the snow angel eggs that weren’t fertile again (only about 2/18 were good). I’ll post some pics later, lots of yellows, some autumn ambers (probably with silver), some I think will be snowies, and of course that Egyptian tux.

Here they are, still in the messy baby brooder, ignore the poop.
1F88DCBB-E316-4ABE-8382-B3E7AF1189F5.jpeg

The double silver is either top center yellow, or far right messy hair yellow by the Pom Pom. I banded it so I would know.

I have my first pip. He is on the more narrow end of the egg but the egg is not really that narrow so I am hoping for the best. View attachment 2659932
I find it’s pretty common that eggs pipped on the narrow end often don’t zip properly and need help. Keep an eye on how active it is in there, if it seems to have given up zipping after 18-24 hours, and doesn’t move much, it might not be able to do it on its own.

I find it’s pretty common that eggs pipped on the narrow end often don’t zip properly and need help. Keep an eye on how active it is in there, if it seems to have given up zipping after 18-24 hours, and doesn’t move much, it might not be able to do it on its own.
The idea of that completely freaks me out. lol - I now have 3 that have pipped and all on the wrong end. Anyone have any idea why they pip the wrong end and what I might do in the future to avoid it.

I know it will be at least midnight before I try to help a chick that pipped the wrong end. But what do I do? At least the humidity in the house right now is 55% - not so bad for chicks if I have to open the bator to help.

Back
Top Bottom