āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I am about to off some quail too to free up some cages for Easter HAL chicks.
Unless @RUNuts wants all that hatch or knows someone who does.
No easter hatch for me even trying to keep my incubators cold this spring for turkey hatching, going to try to get what I need from broodys this year. But have about 30 turkey eggs stored on turner already and only 1 hen showing any signs. So, going to be very hard to not fire incubators up had to walk away from looking at my incubators just today after setting a few more eggs on turner today. :lau

I am about to off some quail too to free up some cages for Easter HAL chicks.
Unless @RUNuts wants all that hatch or knows someone who does.
Tempting. Very tempting. Coming up on gnat season. The first ones are already here and I don't want to get a swarm of buffalo gnats going. Miserable biting, no see-um things.

My second chicken hatch was a bust. I'm waiting on another batch of chicken eggs and got too many other irons in the fire.

Last edited:
Tempting. Very tempting. Coming up on gnat season. They first ones are already here and I don't want to get a swarm of buffalo gnats going. Miserable biting, no see-um things.

My second chicken hatch was a bust. I'm waiting on another batch of chicken eggs and got too many other irons in the fire.
Sounds like you need a hug!

Looks like I may not get a hatch at all. Of all of the eggs I set, only one is developing. Looks like my boys aren't doing their job.
Winter to Spring transition is always hit or miss for me too (although here in Hawaii, *winter* means something entirely different than in Oregon).

I just did a hatch for a buyer, 23 of 39 and they're looking healthy. I'm weirdly more nonchalant about incubator heat now that I saw how badly that one hen sat on her eggs and still got some to hatch. I'll even take them out of the incubator for a bit to cool while I candle. After all, that hen left hers out for an hour at a time and most of them were developing.

Hadn't even thought about Easter, but the chicks will be a few days old on Sunday.
1711751825117.png

I think I was just too eager to set eggs, so I set them before the roosters really woke up. I'm hearing a lot more crowing, so I'm going to set a new batch as soon as my single egg hatches or dies. It's still showing movement as of this morning when I put it into lockdown.
I always wait 2 weeks or sometimes 3 before I set any eggs after I get the first eggs.

Back
Top Bottom