āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

First treatment done...as you can tell they are really happy about that :gig

F1987FBD-263A-4724-8E5D-09F1CCD1951F.jpeg

7C9D97C8-F0AE-4AA6-8E67-B029DD7EBF53.jpeg

View attachment 2026624View attachment 2026627
I know everyone has all the pretty colors, but I just wanted to share some pics of my Jumbo Wild Quail from my first batch. They are so docile, I'm surprised by how calm they are. Only 2 of the 13 are wild. (1 died early on, and 1 we mercy killed as it had spraddle legs and failure to thrive)
I thought my "wild" type were more docile than the other colors, although I had a super sweet pansy & bunch of white ones that liked to be petted...
I want to see those Ramsey greys and coon Kelso
I will have them a few days before their owner comes to pick up the hatchlings, I'll get some good pictures of them for on here. I'm curious too, I love game hens though, but can't keep fullblood game cocks in my flock bc of too much fighting. I have a few 1/2 game....

When people are talking about Panda Quails (on other threads too) they post photos that look like Hugo.

Except Iā€™ve always known Hugo to be a ā€˜poor colour qualityā€™ English White. Just an English White that has excess brown coming though on the face, head and back.

At least where I am, thatā€™s all they are, people donā€™t call them Panda.

Is he what you guys class as Panda? :confused:

View attachment 2026728
View attachment 2026718
View attachment 2026726
View attachment 2026727
View attachment 2026719
View attachment 2026729
View attachment 2026723
View attachment 2026722
View attachment 2026724
View attachment 2026725
View attachment 2026721
View attachment 2026720
From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the colouring on the back in a panda is more of a stripe down the middle and the head is more of a single spot. Hugo is a pretty bird, though!

Candled Thursday night and all are clears. I'll candle again tomorrow to verify and pull. Male crowing and foaming, but has to practice his technique more.
Might be contagious. Be careful.
Crap

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the colouring on the back in a panda is more of a stripe down the middle and the head is more of a single spot. Hugo is a pretty bird, though!

Thatā€™s probably right!

Iā€™ve just seen people posting photos of quails that pretty much look exactly the same as Hugo and they label them as ā€˜Pandaā€™ yet what it technically is in Hugoā€™s case is just a patchy English white šŸ˜†

I still kinda think Hugoā€™s colour is pretty boring...not to offend him šŸ™Š itā€™s nice but certainly not the nicest Coturnix colour out there. Good thing I like Hugo for his weird ā€˜personalityā€™ rather than his colour alone!

Once I start hatching bobwhites, Iā€™m considering keeping a female aside and bringing her up with Hugo around. People have achieved bobwhites x Coturnix before so I may give it a go myself.

Yes, I know the risks but theyā€™ll only be together while Iā€™m there so nothing will happen and they wonā€™t eat each other. If it doesnā€™t work, it doesnā€™t work, nothing lost or gained.

Saying it works...what colour would the chicks be?

Snowflake x English white would be the cross. I know theyā€™ll most likely be sterile.

Back
Top Bottom