➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Some of the SSC are growing so much slower than the rosettas. I’m going to make sure I only keep SSC females with Rosetta males and SSC males with Rosetta females. I don’t want to have weird feet, albinos, or chicks that can’t thrive... to me that’s not good especially if you’re looking for a meat source or egg source.

Hello, ... welcome to this world 🐣

20200722_063318.jpg

😍

So roughly five weeks in and they are getting big. It looks like we got 9 males 11 females, and one white that I don't know what it is yet. Worked out perfect since I wanted 10 females and two males for future breeding. Also ordered an additional set of eggs from a different source to get the breeding in full swing.

IMG_20200722_185726.jpg

Found these today in the hutch. First eggs from the group.

Is it your first time incubating?
Two or three calibrated thermometers and a couple hygrometers for the best hatch rates.
Are these coturnix? Jumbo or fancy color?
Best wishes!
Yes, first time. I ran the incubator for several hours, tweaking the calibration to get the two thermometers I have inside to show the right temperature and hold it. I have a variety pack of colors, regular coturnix. These are my own eggs from hens that are about 3 months old. The one thing I know I didn't do as recommended was letting them sit in the cold. I don't have a good way to keep them cool before setting, so I just dumped two days worth of eggs straight in. 10 sat pointy end down at room temperature for a day, and the other 10 were set the evening they were laid with only a few hours of resting pointy end down. I'm hoping at least half hatch. Quail turn around so fast, and I'm getting 10 eggs a day, so if this hatch doesn't work out, I'll be bummed but not crushed, and I'll just make adjustments and try again.

Back
Top Bottom