āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Uhhh ok weird question but do quail like to eat feather grass? I put the Quail out for around 3 hrs and both my feather grasses were intact. Went to put them to bed and one plant has been removed of its 'feathers' the 2nd plant is fine along with a maturing weat grass that came from my pigeon feed.
IMG_20200730_203804739.jpg IMG_20200730_203809776.jpg IMG_20200730_203817885.jpg

Thought it might be my nesting Pigeons but I've seen no sign of the stocks in the nests, loft, or aviary. Maybe a rat? Or rabbit? My cat caught a rat escaping a storm just the other day in our garage so we definitely have at least one

I'm a newbie. I bought bands for mine. Size #4 from Stromberg's chickens. Each hatch gets its own color. Hens on right leg, roos on left leg. I wanted an easy way to track age & sex. Some of our birds are from celedon eggs, and require vent checks.
??? Wait how can u tell which is which the second they hatch to put bands on roo's and hens ?_?

infertile eggs look like the eggs you eat. No real color change.

Yes, early quitters will have a speck of blood that I guess could look tannish. Not sure what you are referring to. Care to post pictures?
I definitely should have taken pictures.
I went through Google and found this article:
https://countingchickns.wordpress.com/2012/05/06/rotten-hatch-rotten-eggs/
And the couple that didn't have much were very much like 3 and 6 in the article. The 4 questionable were similar, but with a very dark center in the yolk...which might have been a mixture of the old blood veins settling in the yolk or something. As it didn't seem very odd I assumed it wouldn't be too uncommon, but nect time I'll just take the pictures anyway, just in case.

Pics?

My clear eggs.... When I crack them open on day 8 or 9 or whatever there's no color change.

I'm guessing there could be some color change in the yolk if the eggs were really old but I think if you're seeing color change then it would have to be a quitter.
Well I got these from a local (~hour away) guy from the internet, so he definitely could have given me a few old ones, but I agree, it's more likely that something cause a few to quit right off the bat.

Back
Top Bottom