➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Set1 male dropped dead today. Swollen eye that wasn't getting better and today he had a broken top beak. That was new. Butcher day was tomorrow. The stress might have been too much for him? RIP Studley.

The new chicks are growing wonderfully but looking small. I'll have to weigh these and see who makes weight.

Today was lockdown! Got two days till babies I hope!! I kept a bunch of the Celadons cuz they’re so hard to candle, but I’m pretty sure there’s only 4-5 viable ones. Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻🐣

Attachments

• 1B24B060-3B52-4CD7-8B8F-8960DC08088E.jpeg
    1B24B060-3B52-4CD7-8B8F-8960DC08088E.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 4
First time with quail -- a friend ordered button quail eggs for an egg-eating snake and the supplier sent twice the amount to cover any breakage in transit. I incubated 23 eggs. I had 11 eggs out of 23 hatch, a 48% hatch rate for shipped eggs that were neglected the few days before reaching me. I had 6 hatch on day 16, 3 on day 17, 1 on day 18, and 1 on day 19 (!). 1 from Day 17 and the 1 from Day 19 died shortly after hatching. They are about 4 weeks old now. I am tickled to death with them, and will probably keep a few pairs for breeding. :) A few pics of the littles.

original_31d6441a-122e-475d-8e9a-c4d9b4aeffc1_20210512_154113_HDR.jpg

20210517_104636_HDR_2.jpg

"Day 18" peeking out of the incubator.
20210513_090956_HDR.jpg

My little albino chick is doing great, and the second to last to hatch was another albino who I didn’t notice at first. They’re both fine, I thought the one was blind, but it seems they can see my hand when I try to pick them up. I haven’t needed to give them special care other than blocking direct sunlight into the brooder. The second one is a bit runty in size compared to the rest but is spunky and seemingly healthy so far. The last chick to hatch is a silver, and idk, it just seems a bit off as far as mental acuity. I thought for sure it wouldn’t thrive, but other than some nutridrench early on it hasn’t needed help either.

I’ve been researching albino Coturnix, and it seems that it’s sex linked. I found an article from the 60s about it, but I couldn’t find the whole thing. I’m thinking the albinos will both be hens, and that means it’s just the male who carries it. Cotton Candy has earned a ticket to mail jail, but if these grow up as normal without issues, maybe they’ll be all white meat too, and I might use him to make some meat birds. They’re far less work than the double silvers for sure, and the first one is keeping pace size wise with the normies.

speaking of the normies, all of the fakers, albinos, and silvers are staying, and the rest are leaving today.

Back
Top Bottom