➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Today the big chicks are 2 weeks old. Everyone was fine yesterday, but today when I got up, one was kind of fluffed and hunched, with that long legged, scruffy look. It was desperately trying to get under some of the others, and even looked smaller, even though there was no visible difference in the others of the same color yesterday, today I could easily see one wasn’t right. Since I’m a bit packed right now, I just tried putting it in with my new chicks. They hatched yesterday into today. Since the older one was pretty lethargic, and the babies are pretty quick and strong, I figured it would be ok for a bit. They love each other. After several hours the big one isn’t squinting, the wings arent dropping as much, it’s running around with the babies. I think tomorrow it can go back. I wonder if it just waited too long to drink or something, even though there’s plenty of water in the big bird brooder, maybe it just got lazy or something and went downhill fast. Either way, heat and laying next to the feed and water has seemed to revitalize it. Here are some pics of the littles with their fake mom:
113506B4-5C31-46A1-ADC2-F7CF784EAF5B.jpeg
7256214D-4B59-44DF-B9B5-E5E658A2718A.jpeg

I have some really pretty birds in the big group, I’m taking most to the auction on Tuesday, but there are a few I’m keeping. I particularly like the dark speckled silvers:
7C4771B4-BFF5-4339-AEEE-4F845693CCF2.jpeg
29539027-2406-495E-9768-801ABDCFD258.jpeg

Here’s one of the brooders side by side, what a difference 2 weeks makes haha:
CD8C9661-6F56-4150-8FD0-0BB06D10CFB0.jpeg

This new chick is my favorite so far, it’s like a dark bluish silver, I can’t wait to see what it’ll look like:
7D2D2F11-7A67-4CE8-AE72-3AF0164DB533.jpeg

Today the big chicks are 2 weeks old. Everyone was fine yesterday, but today when I got up, one was kind of fluffed and hunched, with that long legged, scruffy look. It was desperately trying to get under some of the others, and even looked smaller, even though there was no visible difference in the others of the same color yesterday, today I could easily see one wasn’t right. Since I’m a bit packed right now, I just tried putting it in with my new chicks. They hatched yesterday into today. Since the older one was pretty lethargic, and the babies are pretty quick and strong, I figured it would be ok for a bit. They love each other. After several hours the big one isn’t squinting, the wings arent dropping as much, it’s running around with the babies. I think tomorrow it can go back. I wonder if it just waited too long to drink or something, even though there’s plenty of water in the big bird brooder, maybe it just got lazy or something and went downhill fast. Either way, heat and laying next to the feed and water has seemed to revitalize it. Here are some pics of the littles with their fake mom:
View attachment 2779677View attachment 2779678

I have some really pretty birds in the big group, I’m taking most to the auction on Tuesday, but there are a few I’m keeping. I particularly like the dark speckled silvers:
View attachment 2779681View attachment 2779682

Here’s one of the brooders side by side, what a difference 2 weeks makes haha:
View attachment 2779684

This new chick is my favorite so far, it’s like a dark bluish silver, I can’t wait to see what it’ll look like:
View attachment 2779683
Oh wow!! That blueish colored one is beautiful!! I also love the light brown tuxedo quail! Super pretty colors!

I candled the eggs I set in the new Nurture Right! Boy what a difference a better incubator makes! I have 39 eggs and only 6 were obvious culls. My last batch I had 28 and culled 16 by day 8!

My biggest issue now is that the air sacs on a bunch of the eggs are on the wrong end…sighhh how bad will the hatch rates be? 20 eggs were shipped and 19 were mine…and all appear to be confused about where the air sac goes. Will I need to prepare myself for a lot of bad results? 😩 I’m super excited to see what babies I get…but need to prepare for less than exciting results I’m guessing?

yeah that fuzzy stuff gets between the lid on the brinsea and drives me nuts because it’s nearly impossible to clean out!!
All the times that I have hatched I have never seen so much fuzz. Never.
It has to be because I remove them from the incubator quickly.

Back
Top Bottom