➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Hmmm. I wonder what too long is.
I believe the reason they develop wry neck from being in the egg too long is because the tendons in the neck develop in a bend, one side develops longer than the other, or something like that. I think slow hatchers that take a long time to absorb their yolk may start doing the growing they are meant to do after they hatch, while still inside. Since their metabolism is so fast, it might not even take very long for the uneven growth to start. I’ve heard people claim that if you hold ones like that, holding the neck gently in the correct position for a few hours, you can repair the damage. I’ve never tried it tho.

yes it’s still called wry neck but it actually from being malpositioned in the egg for too long :th

I believe the reason they develop wry neck from being in the egg too long is because the tendons in the neck develop in a bend, one side develops longer than the other, or something like that. I think slow hatchers that take a long time to absorb their yolk may start doing the growing they are meant to do after they hatch, while still inside. Since their metabolism is so fast, it might not even take very long for the uneven growth to start. I’ve heard people claim that if you hold ones like that, holding the neck gently in the correct position for a few hours, you can repair the damage. I’ve never tried it tho.
None of these dummies hatched late or took more than a few minutes to zip out once they started.

I'm wondering if it's more than what it seems.
I know we won't know but I'm just thinking out loud.

I think wait it out -- it honestly doesn't look that bad in the video. I had one which had to gaze at the stars for three weeks before it started to straighten out. By five weeks, it was fine. A little aloof, but fine.

None of these dummies hatched late or took more than a few minutes to zip out once they started.

I'm wondering if it's more than what it seems.
I know we won't know but I'm just thinking out loud.
i have tried to think of every possible scenario and malposition within the eggs is my best theory. these are usually the ones that pip in the middle to pointy end of the egg and/or make 1 larger hole without zipping all the way around the egg. i had 1 severely shrink wrapped yesterday that was DIS. and 1 that I assisted because of malposition is a cull. neck is bent under so that they never gain proper balance.

i have tried to think of every possible scenario and malposition within the eggs is my best theory. these are usually the ones that pip in the middle to pointy end of the egg and/or make 1 larger hole without zipping all the way around the egg. i had 1 severely shrink wrapped yesterday that was DIS. and 1 that I assisted because of malposition is a cull. neck is bent under so that they never gain proper balance.
I had one that I had to assist hatch after almost a full day with a pip hole that was about the size of a pea. It was definitely off, the neck was slightly bent and it was small and I thought sure would not survive. I have not had any assisted quail live, but it’s been 4 weeks and he’s still small but he’s fully feathered and his neck is no longer bent slightly.

Your little one might not be the same, but giving him a bit more time might be worth it! :)

Back
Top Bottom