➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Wow, that was easy. I used a nail cutter like this one:
View attachment 2856828
They're kind of old-school these days. Not so great for bunny nails, but easy for quail beaks.
I use the same thing on beaks, normal birds who just happened to over grow just get a trim, and my special boy snowflake gets it dremeled after the trim since he’s blind and can’t smooth it himself. I’ve found that if I have a youngster who’s overgrown, if I trim it once it usually doesn’t happen again, I think the rough edges of the fresh cut encourage them to file it on a cinder block or brick and once they figure that out, they’ll be good for life.

Usually, beaks with that kind of growth, are birds raised on wire...or nothing in their aviary to rub their beaks on, ie; large smooth rocks.
That’s the crazy part because he hangs out in the area that’s bordered by blocks but I think he’s one of the homegrowns from last hatch based on size and timeframe that I noticed the overgrowth. I will grab the trimmers and determine his fate when we go out today. I’m attempting to choose based on gender, and overall age/health and size while keeping a decent mix of color.

That’s the crazy part because he hangs out in the area that’s bordered by blocks but I think he’s one of the homegrowns from last hatch based on size and timeframe that I noticed the overgrowth. I will grab the trimmers and determine his fate when we go out today. I’m attempting to choose based on gender, and overall age/health and size while keeping a decent mix of color.
I had a Reeves pheasant that grew a beak similar to your bird. Raised on wire but a lot of my other birds have been raised or partially raised on wire, until I moved them to grow out pens. Some grow beaks like that and others don't but if raised on the ground from the beginning, they don't grow abnormal beaks. :idunno

I had a Reeves pheasant that grew a beak similar to your bird. Raised on wire but a lot of my other birds have been raised or partially raised on wire, until I moved them to grow out pens. Some grow beaks like that and others don't but if raised on the ground from the beginning, they don't grow abnormal beaks. :idunno
Mine never see wire……brooder is solid floor with block of wood, subaviary is solid floor inside and pea gravel outside and aviary is dirt, mulch with paver blocks around :confused:

Hey all Im looking for Texas a and M eggs or someone who sells the chicks . i just bought a new incubator because mine caught on fire and all the eggs in it died 4 days before hatch. Does anyone sell Eggs or chicks for the Texas a and M quail ? also any one know of a trustworthy incubator mine was a Nurture right 360 it was only good for 3 uses im kinda looking for something better for the price that wont burn down my house

Attachments

• 20211006_070851.jpg
    20211006_070851.jpg
    362.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20211006_070952.jpg
    20211006_070952.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 1
Hey all Im looking for Texas a and M eggs or someone who sells the chicks . i just bought a new incubator because mine caught on fire and all the eggs in it died 4 days before hatch. Does anyone sell Eggs or chicks for the Texas a and M quail ? also any one know of a trustworthy incubator mine was a Nurture right 360 it was only good for 3 uses im kinda looking for something better for the price that wont burn down my house
Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom