➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I just candled 22 eggs and it looks like only 8 are viable. I'm not sure if it's the winter season or because a lot of the eggs are from the pen with my oldest roo (17 months old) and his six hens. Several of the viable eggs are his though. He's either taking a break, playing favorites or shooting blanks.

My oldest hen, on the other hand, has three eggs in the batch and they are all viable. (She is also bald on her back and separated from the males right now because she has always been the mountain they feel challenged to climb.)

Thoughts anyone? My daughter thinks it's time for the older roo to make room for the next generation. I should mention that I've always liked the offspring he produces so I was hoping to use him on successive generations.

Last edited:
I just candled 22 eggs and it looks like only 8 are viable. I'm not sure if it's the winter season or because a lot of the eggs are from the pen with my oldest roo (17 months old) and his six hens. Several of the viable eggs are his though. He's either taking a break, playing favorites or shooting blanks.

My oldest hen, on the other hand, has three eggs in the batch and they are all viable. (She is also bald on her back and separated from the males right now because she has always been the mountain they feel challenged to climb.)

Thoughts anyone? My daughter thinks it's time for the older roo to make room for the next generation. I should mention that I've always liked the offspring he produces so I was hoping to use him on successive generations.
Do you have enough space to have another pen? Maybe separate him and a few females, and put a new rooster with the other females so you have two breeding groups. He probably has a few favorites and ignores the others.

Back
Top Bottom