āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Here's the first one that hatched. It's one of those ADHD varieties: has ridiculously well-developed lungs and can't stop bothering the other chicks when it's not running around the brooder at top speed.

[]
adhd-chick-1.png

Hi! I'm new to quail and just started my first eggs incubating. They are jumbo coturnix from a purely poultry.
I did chickens until now but my new place doesn't allow them. I'm operating in the 'they're not specifically listed in the ordinance' grey area for quail.
I chose jumbo because I am used to full size chickens so I was thinking the bigger, the better. XD

I've never hatched eggs though so I'm excited!

I'm hoping to raise for eggs, and meat as a bonus.

20 eggs went into the incubator (nurture right 360) on Friday. They were all in good shape after shipping.

My thermometer is showing temps and humidity pretty similar to the incubator, with occasional short lived dips and spikes in temp.

PXL_20211203_182253049.jpg
PXL_20211203_151803094.jpg

Also, can someone tell me what's going on with that very greenish egg on the right? Just a funny egg? I would occasionally get an egg from my chickens that had weird pigment dispersement or texture, so maybe something like that?
Yep. Weird pigmentation. Lots of variation in quail eggs. Nothing to worry about unless the shell is also thin. Got your coop built?

Quail are different from chickens. I put my quail coop in the chicken yard and let the chickens clean up the spilled food from the quail. This was with no mess homemade feeders. Neat birds.

Yep. Weird pigmentation. Lots of variation in quail eggs. Nothing to worry about unless the shell is also thin. Got your coop built?

Quail are different from chickens. I put my quail coop in the chicken yard and let the chickens clean up the spilled food from the quail. This was with no mess homemade feeders. Neat birds.
Yep! They're going to be in rabbit hutches in my enclosed patio (closed off from house so no odor/dust getting in the house)

Hi! I'm new to quail and just started my first eggs incubating. They are jumbo coturnix from a purely poultry.
I did chickens until now but my new place doesn't allow them. I'm operating in the 'they're not specifically listed in the ordinance' grey area for quail.
I chose jumbo because I am used to full size chickens so I was thinking the bigger, the better. XD

I've never hatched eggs though so I'm excited!

I'm hoping to raise for eggs, and meat as a bonus.

20 eggs went into the incubator (nurture right 360) on Friday. They were all in good shape after shipping.

My thermometer is showing temps and humidity pretty similar to the incubator, with occasional short lived dips and spikes in temp.

View attachment 2920317
View attachment 2920316
Haha I'm also in the 'chickens aren't allowed so I said f**k you I'm getting quail' club

Haha I'm also in the 'chickens aren't allowed so I said f**k you I'm getting quail' club
We have strict laws on chickens ( two max ) that no one follows here, but quail just make more sense for backyard poultry in an urban area. No regrets, they're absolutely perfect for city gardening and food security.

We have strict laws on chickens ( two max ) that no one follows here, but quail just make more sense for backyard poultry in an urban area. No regrets, they're absolutely perfect for city gardening and food security.
The Homestead Act is meant to protect self sufficiency but landlords here donā€™t care. My landlord has broken so many laws endangering my health and the place was in such terrible condition when I moved in I no longer care if they try to throw a fit over some 4 inch long birds and will sue the crap out of them. They canā€™t tell me a pet will ruin the carpets because they gave me cracked bare concrete floor with screws and broken glass sticking out of it and I paid for the damn carpets.

More eggs arrived today!

image.jpg

The Homestead Act is meant to protect self sufficiency but landlords here donā€™t care. My landlord has broken so many laws endangering my health and the place was in such terrible condition when I moved in I no longer care if they try to throw a fit over some 4 inch long birds and will sue the crap out of them. They canā€™t tell me a pet will ruin the carpets because they gave me cracked bare concrete floor with screws and broken glass sticking out of it and I paid for the damn carpets.

More eggs arrived today!

View attachment 2920968
Are they buttons or Coturnix?

Back
Top Bottom