➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Are they buttons or Coturnix?
We both know Coturnix are typically bigger and cannot be kept in a hamster cage or 2ft vivarium 😞 You can argue for something you could tell the housing people is ‘basically a budgie’ compared to something more comparable to a bantam. I live in a 450 square foot apartment unfortunately... It is what it is.

Selecting eggs
113FFE75-6A72-4DA5-8EAB-48F16BBCD183.jpeg

The biggest and smallest (rejected)
DC51F2E4-7C9C-4027-A248-431827324AE0.jpeg

722F74A7-5D71-44F1-8A39-B08467DD4797.jpeg

Putting the rejects (cracks, wrong shape, wrong size, shell abnormalities) in whilst the good eggs sit pointy end down because I’ve realised that once you set eggs you often have to adjust again and I also keep an eye on the surface temp of each individual egg in addition to the temp of the heat mat and below the lamp. (I have 4 thermometers including an infra red heat gun) I can also see how much the internal temp changes in the morning when the sun in is up and temp with the lid on vs off (extra humidity control) also don’t know if I want the rectangle trays- they work great for turning but if there is any risk I will fumble and drop an egg taking out for candling I might switch back to round trays. I can do any last minute fiddling and experimenting with eggs that are going to be eaten.

What terrifies me is what I’m going to have to leave the other half to watch the incubator for 48 hours and he already accidentally turned the incubator off a few days before hatch day last time.. Has accidentally turned my heat mats off for my snake and millipede once or twice too 😱 I admit this is a bit less straightforward than a proper incubator so I am writing detailed instructions and checking in every 4 hours.

Last edited:
We both know Coturnix are typically bigger and cannot be kept in a hamster cage or 2ft vivarium. I live in a 450 square foot apartment unfortunately... It is what it is.
I use 2' square cages for the breeders. 1 male and 2-3 females. Selective breeding. Worked OK. More space is better.

I have seen some people who do use the hamster cages. They are available.

I got ahold of some hatching eggs for blacks from K.Dale lines. Unfortunately 4 of the 10 eggs arrived cracked, but the seller is gonna replace them after the holidays.

They went into the incubator today, which means that if any hatch, they will be Christmas quail :)

I use 2' square cages for the breeders. 1 male and 2-3 females. Selective breeding. Worked OK. More space is better.

I find that ethically questionable with all honesty. Most people realise now that hamster cages aren’t even suitable for hamsters. And my viv/cage is only 2ft one side and 1ft the other, so would have **absolute maximum** 4 buttons and nothing any bigger in there, even then by some people’s standards having 2 buttons in that space is crowded. 3 Coturnix sounds like too much to me especially as I bet their food/water and any hides occupies more floor space.

I have 2 ferrets, 2 other buttons, a millipede and 3 snakes. If I am having multiple animals in a one bedroom apartment I am not going to be an asshole animal hoarder and cram them in any smaller space. Buttons are more realistic for me and if the housing people come over I can tell these clowns they are budgies and they will honestly believe me lol

Last edited:
I find that ethically questionable with all honesty. Most people realise now that hamster cages aren’t even suitable for hamsters. And my viv/cage is only 2ft one side and 1ft the other, so would have **absolute maximum** 4 buttons and nothing any bigger in there, even then by some people’s standards having 2 buttons in that space is crowded. 3 Coturnix sounds like too much to me especially as I bet their food/water and any hides occupies more floor space.

I have 2 ferrets, 2 other buttons, a millipede and 3 snakes. If I am having multiple animals in a one bedroom apartment I am not going to be an asshole animal hoarder and cram them in any smaller space. Buttons are more realistic for me and if the housing people come over I can tell these clowns they are budgies and they will honestly believe me lol
In all honesty, if you are renting, aren't you afraid that your lease could get terminated? That sounds like a lot of animals in a one bedroom apartment. I'm surprised the landlord allows that many. (back in the day when we rented, we had a zero pet policy, even hamsters weren't allowed)

In all honesty, if you are renting, aren't you afraid that your lease could get terminated? That sounds like a lot of animals in a one bedroom apartment. I'm surprised the landlord allows that many. (back in the day when we rented, we had a zero pet policy, even hamsters weren't allowed)
I believe I said the landlord broke the law first. I don’t even know if what I signed holds up. I do also have permission for pets in writing, though they tried to lie and revoke permission after I moved in which is when I finally put my foot down and challenged them. They’re not quite so bothered about things in tanks and cages but moreso things like cats and dogs. Either way I keep things relatively organised and well

3 vivs in here. The climbing frame is for my exercise equipment (I’m disabled but aerial equipment helps me build core strength)

A9B3223A-8125-4688-A7B6-061ED76F3B6C.jpeg

2 vivs by my bed and a small (11x 8 inch) faunarium on my other bedside table which is a dedicated chest of drawers for animal stuff. I also have a nicely organised closet with feed and substrate bins.

DB01DBF7-6434-4B47-B86F-1CF99ECAB186.jpeg
783CF6B5-AA8C-4533-953C-FC83E383757A.jpeg
3FD1046F-9B47-4F74-8574-7000DA406CDA.jpeg

They also lied that I would be renting a house with its own garden and hid a bunch of stuff in the video viewing, turns it they split the house in two but hadn’t registered the address properly with the land registry, gave half the yard to a neighbour after I’d already spent all my savings on restoring it as it was full of junk, broken bottles, razors blades and a burning trash pit, the place has severe structural damp I could take them to court over, the door was still damaged from being broken down by police when the previous tenant was dealing drugs, that needed replacing as it wasn’t secure etc etc That’s not even the half of it as I can’t say everything publicly but they are in very deep doo doo.

Last edited:
N

Oh no they are not available. They are against the rules.

Rabbit cages are ok.
No hamster time miniature faker doll toy cages allowed.

I believe I said the landlord broke the law first. I don’t even know if what I signed holds up. I do also have permission for pets in writing, though they tried to lie and revoke permission after I moved in which is when I finally put my foot down and challenged them. They’re not quite so bothered about things in tanks and cages but moreso things like cats and dogs. Either way I keep things They also lied that I would be renting a house with its own garden and hid a bunch of stuff in the video viewing, turns it they split the house in two, gave half the yard to a neighbour after I’d already spent all my savings on restoring it as it was full of junk, broken bottles, razors blades and a burning trash pit, the place has severe structural damp I could take them to court over and didn’t even register the address properly. The door was still damaged from being broken down by police when the previous tenant was dealing drugs, that needed replacing as it wasn’t secure). That’s not even the half of it as I can’t say everything publicly but they are in very deep doo doo.
Did you actually move into a rental without seeing it in person first?

Did you actually move into a rental without seeing it in person first?
Yes, 1) I was previously homeless and if you don’t accept the first and only offer of housing you are immediately evicted from the shelter and your stuff thrown out 2) I can’t travel alone and was dealing with severe asthma in the middle of lockdown so was not allowed to attend the viewing with my carer and had no money for a taxi as I used the last of my savings on the deposit, furniture, white goods, the moving van that I travelled with on the day etc. I was clueless t first because they apartment stil he it’s own front door, they tacked on another entrance to the side of the building leading to the upstairs. It was standard procedure at the time to do a video viewing and letting agent absolutely deliberately hid things in it. Plus whatever paperwork they have on the ‘house’ is like 20 years out of date. Even when contractors come to do work on the house they are lost as to where all the wiring/plumbing goes because it’s not set up like they were lead to believe.

Anyway that is enough thread derailing. They are 100% in the wrong.

Last edited:
I got ahold of some hatching eggs for blacks from K.Dale lines. Unfortunately 4 of the 10 eggs arrived cracked, but the seller is gonna replace them after the holidays.

They went into the incubator today, which means that if any hatch, they will be Christmas quail :)
Do you have a link to the seller? I want some more from the k dale lines, I have 1 black hen from him, but her son turned out Tibetan.

Back
Top Bottom