➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

No problem! How's the quitting going? I've been wanting to try Chantix but I had depression and anxiety issues as a teen so the potential side effects make me nervous...
I have anxiety issues as an adult too.
I was extremely worried about starting the medicine.
I wish I would have started it sooner.

Zero.
The chances are zero.
Quick question...

My eggs are day 16 and on lockdown. I know you're not supposed to open the bator during lockdown but my humidity wasn't going above 45%. I looked as closely as I could at the eggs to make sure there were no pips. I didn't see any so I quickly opened the bator, added 2 wet face cloths, and closed the bator. Here's the problem...as I was closing, I saw the tiniest of pips on egg 5. I had the bator open for a good 15 or so seconds.

Now for the question...what are the chances I just stupidly shrink wrapped my chick?
Kiki is so right. They tell you in the books, etc. that if the lid comes off, you are done. Your babies will all die... DIE!!!

This is like telling your child, "If you go down to the creek without your older sister, Jenny Green-teeth will come out of the water, drag you in and EAT you!!" It is a cautionary tale. It's best not to open it once the eggs begin to pip, but if you gotta, then you gotta.

Oh BTW, in case you don't have an easy way to add water already (the sponges are another matter of course), I found a syringe and tubing as a set on Amazon and I just add through the vent. I can direct the end to the channel I want by just twisting it around. Don't forget to disinfect after your chicks have hatched. I just draw up some of the original gold Lysterine. I use it as a spray on the (plastic) incubator as well, and diluted as an egg spray if I feel the need for some reason to clean the eggs.

Kiki is so right. They tell you in the books, etc. that if the lid comes off, you are done. Your babies will all die... DIE!!!

This is like telling your child, "If you go down to the creek without your older sister, Jenny Green-teeth will come out of the water, drag you in and EAT you!!" It is a cautionary tale. It's best not to open it once the eggs begin to pip, but if you gotta, then you gotta.

Oh BTW, in case you don't have an easy way to add water already (the sponges are another matter of course), I found a syringe and tubing as a set on Amazon and I just add through the vent. I can direct the end to the channel I want by just twisting it around. Don't forget to disinfect after your chicks have hatched. I just draw up some of the original gold Lysterine. I use it as a spray on the (plastic) incubator as well, and diluted as an egg spray if I feel the need for some reason to clean the eggs.

Thank you for that! I was panicked at first but that particular egg created a second pip during the night and has been rocking to its own beat all morning. My s/o actually told me to go sit down and stop staring in the incubator. I was like it's my life, I'll waste it how I want lol

My incubator is a homemade one so once these eggs hatch I plan on making some changes, which include an easy access port to add water. Also, the eggs arrived a full week before they were supposed to so I didn't get to install the thermostat before the eggs came. That's the first thing on my to-do list.

Do you have a link for the set on Amazon?

I have anxiety issues as an adult too.
I was extremely worried about starting the medicine.
I wish I would have started it sooner.

That actually makes me feel a bit better about it. I desperately need to quit. Last month I was told I have a 6mm nodule in my right lung. There's about a 40% chance it's cancer but I have to wait 6 months for a rescan to see if it changes. That's obviously crazy scary but, even with that, I'm struggling to quit. I'll probably call my PCP Monday and try to get an appointment...

Thank you for that! I was panicked at first but that particular egg created a second pip during the night and has been rocking to its own beat all morning. My s/o actually told me to go sit down and stop staring in the incubator. I was like it's my life, I'll waste it how I want lol

My incubator is a homemade one so once these eggs hatch I plan on making some changes, which include an easy access port to add water. Also, the eggs arrived a full week before they were supposed to so I didn't get to install the thermostat before the eggs came. That's the first thing on my to-do list.

Do you have a link for the set on Amazon?
Sure... Here's the one I bought: Buytra 2 Pack 100ML Plastic Syringe with Handy Tubing 80cm Long for Injecting, Drawing Oil, Fluid and Water https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078PGW8RJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_sESuEbDN6V5B6

That actually makes me feel a bit better about it. I desperately need to quit. Last month I was told I have a 6mm nodule in my right lung. There's about a 40% chance it's cancer but I have to wait 6 months for a rescan to see if it changes. That's obviously crazy scary but, even with that, I'm struggling to quit. I'll probably call my PCP Monday and try to get an appointment...
DH's dad quit immediately after his triple bypass surgery. Up until that point, he wasn't able either. 😬 People are like that, though. No one's fault really, but fear is a terrifying motivator. Best not to wait for it to help you out if you possibly can.

This medicine works. I promise.
I cannot stress how much I wish I would have started it sooner.
I was terrified...really I was...it is not bad at all and it works.
There is no doubt it's working.

They are all girls!

Are the girls going to be the only ones with spotted chests?
@Myshire Farm Quail
IMG_20200223_172042.jpg
IMG_20200223_172027.jpg

This one I guess boy.
I'll get better pics tomorrow.
IMG_20200223_172048.jpg

I can sex one of the three types I got out of my homegrown eggs.
The tibetan looking ones...no clue.
In the background... the female is on the left and the male is on the right.
IMG_20200223_172840.jpg

Male:
IMG_20200223_172801.jpg

No clue
IMG_20200223_172825.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200223_172837.jpg
    IMG_20200223_172837.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 2
I think I've figured out vent sexing, and not just with foam! I can see the different shape of the vent. The girls are more like horizontal slits and the boys are more round. If I'm right, then I have two pairs of buttons. This is going to make separating the boys and girls possible before the crowing starts.

Edit: I wish I could take pictures, but I don't have enough hands.

Back
Top Bottom