āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Alright question can a lone baby quail adjust to a schedule and if so how long does it take? The little cotton ball is currently in a tank in my room so I can keep an eye on him, but since moving to the tank he seems to no longer be adjusted to lighting changes. The incubator was not lighted but had direct sunlight during day which would fade come night obviously, and he'd make no fuss filling his crop and falling asleep by 11pm. Now he's panicking because his cage is set up were I have to supply a light that I then turn off come night, and he panicked every time! Lights go on? Fine, off? Panicked help calls šŸ¤¦ I turn the lights off around the same time each night, and I rather not rack up a bill leaving a light on 24/7 for 6 weeks. He's on my bed sleeping on my leg @ the moment šŸ™„ any way to fix this new bedtime issue?

My Cotton ball child aka Quilliam
IMG_20200524_223438920.jpg

Alright question can a lone baby quail adjust to a schedule and if so how long does it take? The little cotton ball is currently in a tank in my room so I can keep an eye on him, but since moving to the tank he seems to no longer be adjusted to lighting changes. The incubator was not lighted but had direct sunlight during day which would fade come night obviously, and he'd make no fuss filling his crop and falling asleep by 11pm. Now he's panicking because his cage is set up were I have to supply a light that I then turn off come night, and he panicked every time! Lights go on? Fine, off? Panicked help calls šŸ¤¦ I turn the lights off around the same time each night, and I rather not rack up a bill leaving a light on 24/7 for 6 weeks. He's on my bed sleeping on my leg @ the moment šŸ™„ any way to fix this new bedtime issue?
A lone quail is going to cry a lot because it's lonely. Is there any way you can get a companion or two for it?

@Nabiki yeah unfortunately he was the only baby of 7 to survive to hatch, it's standard of 86Ā°F outside where I live so I plan for him to go hang out in our pigeon loft once bigger, I don't want to introduce now cause he's way too small and fragile to be left alone with Territorial pigeons all day, once bigger I'm sure it'll be fine but I hatching out more babies to keep him company at this point is null as he'd be 3 weeks by then(no baby Corturnix around that I can get too @ the moment either)šŸ˜“ he's fine during the day though, happily forages and making happy noises, he's been a single child from the start so I'm not sure he realizes he's missing anything important, plus I'm stuck at home 24/7 so he sees me at least 1 every hour for a check in, I have snuggly socks, cat toys, hides, and perches that act as entertainment and he has no issue being alone in the day, nor before swapping housing (he's to old to go back in a Bator though even if it is a large onešŸ¤·) he's seemingly content until nighttime where he gets upset with me and it takes a full hour to get him to sleep on his own w/out him leaping up the moment I move. Can I do some sort of bedtime ritual that might help? Or will he just need to adjust? As much as I love him I won't sleep with him, and I don't want him developing a unhealthy codependency on my presence.

@Nabiki yeah unfortunately he was the only baby of 7 to survive to hatch, it's standard of 86Ā°F outside where I live so I plan for him to go hang out in our pigeon loft once bigger, I don't want to introduce now cause he's way too small and fragile to be left alone with Territorial pigeons all day, once bigger I'm sure it'll be fine but I hatching out more babies to keep him company at this point is null as he'd be 3 weeks by then(no baby Corturnix around that I can get too @ the moment either)šŸ˜“ he's fine during the day though, happily forages and making happy noises, he's been a single child from the start so I'm not sure he realizes he's missing anything important, plus I'm stuck at home 24/7 so he sees me at least 1 every hour for a check in, I have snuggly socks, cat toys, hides, and perches that act as entertainment and he has no issue being alone in the day, nor before swapping housing (he's to old to go back in a Bator though even if it is a large onešŸ¤·) he's seemingly content until nighttime where he gets upset with me and it takes a full hour to get him to sleep on his own w/out him leaping up the moment I move. Can I do some sort of bedtime ritual that might help? Or will he just need to adjust? As much as I love him I won't sleep with him, and I don't want him developing a unhealthy codependency on my presence.
If he freaks out when the light turns off abruptly, can you give him a night light or put the light on a dimmer timer so it doesn't get dark abruptly but over maybe 30 minutes?

I've got 15 chicks so far! It was 16, but there was an accident :( As I was taking the chicks out of the incubator in twos and threes, one stuck its head out the back of the incubator and I didn't see it as I closed the lid. It must have broken its little neck :hit

But the other 15 seem good, and I've left the remaining eggs in just in case.

Back
Top Bottom