➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

My hatch is 7 weeks old now. They molted so they barely put on any weight between weeks 5 and 7! Anything I can do besides not hatch them right when the weather is starting to get cold? I put them outside at 5 weeks and the low temps have been 48-55.

Well, found out which layer is having a calcium problem. Not which hen. It is the hen that lays the purple eggs. Got another one yesterday.
20201124_204736.jpg
20201124_204756.jpg

Of my most recent set of hatched, I only have 38 chicks left, but it feels like a million. Requests have slowed, it’s been getting down below freezing at night, so I’m hoping some will sell, but otherwise I’ll grow them out for the freezer. I have them in 2 brooders now, since there are so many.

The snow angels have a new roommate. One of the peachy looking hens from the snowie hatch was getting really thin. She’s blind, and although the other 4 or 5 blind ones are doing fine, she was skin and bones. So she is inside now in the handicapped bin. Snowflake and Popeye are both crowing like crazy, but Pebble is a hen. There hasn’t been violence, and I’m hoping for the best. They’re both blind, so they have to be standing next to each other to notice. Plus neither can aim or pursue. They literally walk into things all the time, and they simply do not adjust and develop other heightened senses, they just keep walking into hides and bowls, and crying if you move them out of the way.

I fear the worst for poor Baldi,she stumbles and falls and has a lot of difficulty walking and standing. She is quite a bit larger than the boys and also not crowing so I’ve been calling it she/her. It seems her legs are very small and weak in comparison to her body, but her spirits seem high and as long as she can flop around well enough to eat and drink I won’t cull her. I’ve started adding nutridrench back into their water, and I’m hoping it might help strengthen her.

I have a Thanksgiving quail baby. Totally accidentally. I had set a small batch of eggs and forgot when I set it. Apparently I set them for today. Only one egg made it because the rest were cracked somehow and I didn't notice.

So, one Thanksgiving quail chick.
Is he yellow?

Back
Top Bottom