➡I accidentally bought Balut eggs: 2 live ducks! Now a Chat Thread!

Those EE better be pretty. :th
If they are clinically insane like last time I really might not keep them.
Fingers crossed! :fl Ours have turned out pretty, but goodness are they psycho and super stupid. :gig One forgets how to get into the coop every night, and the other escapes all the time and fights with everyone. :th

IMG_20180712_162915.jpg

Ducks are easy. You got this! I had my chickens less than a year when I got my ducks. I brought my ducks home without having built them a space to live inside or out! Just throw something together ;) ducks don't care. They like to sleep on the ground in the cold and drink/slosh from any container that will hold water.

My hubby wants to put the ducks with the chicks so he doesn't want us to get a male as of yet. Maybe later on once we get accustomed to taking care of them and then we can separate them. I know no male ducks around my chickens. But this is the area that we have the chicks in now. This is just for reference. It's a fenced in area that is 80' x 100'. Woven goat fencing (cause I planned on getting goats at some point) and we realized that the chicks could walk right thru it. :rant The boogers! So we ordered hardware cloth because no one had it local in the amount we needed and that took a while so until we got it in, we went with that silt cloth you see around construction sites. LOL It works great and was cheap enough. We thought about moving the chicks to a dif area because I want to actually BUILD them a decent coop (we just have the prefab atm) so we just never put up the hardware cloth around the area. Figured we'd use it later.
IMG_3168.JPG

It's that upper section. The lower section is our dog pen. The chick area isn't how I really want it yet. We want to add a couple of trees for shade (will do this fall). Maybe another canopied area. Some more pallet shelters (just a pallet on cinder blocks) for them to run under if needed. So I guess I need to know, do I have to section off an area for the ducks? We have 6 chicks right now. I do want more but not a whole lot more. Maybe max out a 12 total. As for the duckies, I think I want at least 3. My chicks are 13 weeks old. Will there be fighting or can the 2 be combined? Or would it be better to have them in their own area? Dang I write a frickin novel. I'm sry ya'll! :oops:

My hubby wants to put the ducks with the chicks so he doesn't want us to get a male as of yet. Maybe later on once we get accustomed to taking care of them and then we can separate them. I know no male ducks around my chickens. But this is the area that we have the chicks in now. This is just for reference. It's a fenced in area that is 80' x 100'. Woven goat fencing (cause I planned on getting goats at some point) and we realized that the chicks could walk right thru it. :rant The boogers! So we ordered hardware cloth because no one had it local in the amount we needed and that took a while so until we got it in, we went with that silt cloth you see around construction sites. LOL It works great and was cheap enough. We thought about moving the chicks to a dif area because I want to actually BUILD them a decent coop (we just have the prefab atm) so we just never put up the hardware cloth around the area. Figured we'd use it later.
View attachment 1466033

It's that upper section. The lower section is our dog pen. The chick area isn't how I really want it yet. We want to add a couple of trees for shade (will do this fall). Maybe another canopied area. Some more pallet shelters (just a pallet on cinder blocks) for them to run under if needed. So I guess I need to know, do I have to section off an area for the ducks? We have 6 chicks right now. I do want more but not a whole lot more. Maybe max out a 12 total. As for the duckies, I think I want at least 3. My chicks are 13 weeks old. Will there be fighting or can the 2 be combined? Or would it be better to have them in their own area? Dang I write a frickin novel. I'm sry ya'll! :oops:
We have our two Cayuga hens in the coop with everyone else. We just kept them in a separated spot for a month when they were around 4 months old (which in my opinion was a little long to wait) and then we tried it out to see. Do you have a rooster? Ours tried attacking the ducks when they were younger but now that they are laying he wants to sit on them. :gig I would keep them around the chickens, with a separated fence, so it’s easier to integrate than what we did.

Back
Top Bottom