šŸ£ Has anyone had success with imprinting a baby duckling starting on day 1? šŸ£

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Hi to all my friends! šŸ„°

I have yet another question.
Has anyone had success with imprinting?
I had a lone baby Muscovy ducking for 6 days. I wasnā€™t sure if the next one in line to hatch would make it, so I kept her with me pretty much non stop since day one.

I held her while I was seeing my patients on TeleHealth. I carried her all around (very safely) while tending to housework and pretty much always had her with me except during the night because my husband wonā€™t allow duck poop in bed and sheā€™d cry if I put her in a shoe box between us. So I put her in her brooder at night.
Now that the second one came she runs away from me, and it hurts! šŸ’”
Sheā€™ll follow me, both will, but thatā€™s about it.
They are SO spoiled with tons on toys and a cozy brooder box right in our kitchen, but Iā€™m sad because she runs away now.
Is it normal duckling behavior to run away?
I incubated them and had to assist with both hatchings. (Mom didnā€™t go broody)

I have 16 more eggs in my incubator at staggering ages due to the fact that sheā€™s been laying since January 23rd!!
Many broke or froze if she laid them overnight, and we lost a few at between 12-18 dayā€™s of incubation until I lowered the humidity. I found out too late that Muscovyā€™s require lower humidity then other breeds.

Anyway, what behaviors do I look for to know if a duckling has truly imprinted?
Apparently I did something wrong and to be honest, Iā€™m sad.. šŸ˜¢

Blessings to all,
Amy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 441D7BC6-5D4A-49C0-9583-B387A3B3493C.jpeg
    441D7BC6-5D4A-49C0-9583-B387A3B3493C.jpeg
    523.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 09FB0E78-EEB1-477B-93B7-7D90576890EB.jpeg
    09FB0E78-EEB1-477B-93B7-7D90576890EB.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 9
Ducks imprinting on humans can lead to unwanted behaviors. I wouldn't be sad. Eventually, ducks come to learn to trust you, and yes they can still run the opposite direction, but mostly will come to you when called. Muscovy are the most curious and friendly of the ducks I have. I wouldn't fret over a duckling not imprinting.
My muscovy drake bites me whenever he gets the chance because he wants snacks and I'm not handing them out fast enough. You don't know pain until a muscovy bites the back of your calf - it's a twist and turn kind of bite - so leaves a lasting impression. I got him at about a week old. I was told to hand feed them if I wanted them to get used to me, so I did like a snack dealer. I wish I had kept more distance when they were ducklings. So, he didn't imprint, but he comes right to me as soon as I'm out there. He is the most interested in what I'm doing. And, he has attempted to "mate" me, which leaves bruises and scratches. He's at least 25lbs if not more. I have had to put him in his place more than once.
So, just imagine what his behavior would be had he imprinted on me. The idea sounds novel, but in reality it is not.

Last edited:
I donā€™t have ducks and Iā€™m not really sure what I did but I think my chicks imprinted on me they jump in my hands to come out once they are all out I sit down and they all jump on
C8E73DAF-3143-4FFF-9ECE-B56F0F67F1BB.jpeg
me most cuddle up to me or squeeze under my arm and poke their head out the other side this is sad I hope they trust you soon!!!

This pic is from awhile ago the chicks in this pic are now eight weeks old the pulley still does this and the two roosters perch in my shoulder or lay in my arms hands legs sometimes they also squeeze under my arms but not much!

Back
Top Bottom