1/2 Runner Green Beans - Never Again

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Jul 28, 2010.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I planted six sixty-six-foot rows of three varieties of green beans this spring. One of the varieties, "1/2 runners", was recommended as being delicious, so I planted two rows of them. Anne has been picking them for about a month, and they truly are especially good; however...
    There I sat last night, reclining in my recliner, drinking my daily martini and enjoying a good TV program. Out of nowhere, my slave-driving wife showed up, stuck two large bowls on my lap, and told me that I could help snap (or whatever it's called) some of the 1/2 runners since she had so many to do. Do I look like a domestic? Whatever, I kept my mouth shut and proceeded with being my usual saintly self. I've broken beans before in my life, but they were ALWAYS beans that you simply remove the two ends and break into smaller parts. Those 1/2 runners, each and every one, required my removing the two ends, then removing strings from BOTH side of the bean. NEVER AGAIN! I'm mowing down both rows today.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    wah-wah-wah [​IMG]

Lemmie get out my little teeny violin [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I bet you were sore about snapping beans!

4. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm with you on this one - I hate having to remove strings on beans.
    That said, I probably would not be able to bring myself to mow down productive plants.

5. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I never could figure out why they have string beans on either side....is there a reason for it?

I'd prefer the KY Wonder beans and Blue Lakes...they are so good but bugs ate them all before I got any harvest out of it.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Why didn't you buy a stringless variety? Hindsight and all that... [​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Thank you, HHF! Perfect smiley!

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

It's good to know that I can always depend on securing sympathy from the women on this matriarchal-centered forum. As I sit here typing, she's sitting at the other end of the kitchen table breaking about a million beans. Seems to me that she could be doing something for me instead. Oh, well, c'est la vie.

10. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Did you get carpal tunnel from the beans?

Do I need to call the wa-mbulance?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by