1/2 Runner Green Beans - Never Again

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I planted six sixty-six-foot rows of three varieties of green beans this spring. One of the varieties, "1/2 runners", was recommended as being delicious, so I planted two rows of them. Anne has been picking them for about a month, and they truly are especially good; however...
There I sat last night, reclining in my recliner, drinking my daily martini and enjoying a good TV program. Out of nowhere, my slave-driving wife showed up, stuck two large bowls on my lap, and told me that I could help snap (or whatever it's called) some of the 1/2 runners since she had so many to do. Do I look like a domestic? Whatever, I kept my mouth shut and proceeded with being my usual saintly self. I've broken beans before in my life, but they were ALWAYS beans that you simply remove the two ends and break into smaller parts. Those 1/2 runners, each and every one, required my removing the two ends, then removing strings from BOTH side of the bean. NEVER AGAIN! I'm mowing down both rows today.

wah-wah-wah
hit.gif

Lemmie get out my little teeny violin
wink.png

I never could figure out why they have string beans on either side....is there a reason for it?

I'd prefer the KY Wonder beans and Blue Lakes...they are so good but bugs ate them all before I got any harvest out of it.

It's good to know that I can always depend on securing sympathy from the women on this matriarchal-centered forum. As I sit here typing, she's sitting at the other end of the kitchen table breaking about a million beans. Seems to me that she could be doing something for me instead. Oh, well, c'est la vie.

Back
Top Bottom