Oct 27, 2021
Hey guys thanks for any help here

I have 5 chooks all heritage breeds
Australorp
Wynadotte
Orpington
Plymouth rock
Silkie

All are only 1.5years old and I haven’t had a single egg for over 3-4 months from any of them. I find it super weird that all just stopped at the exact same time.

They are Super healthy, very well fed diet, free range every single day, I have a great coop and run for nights. No predators around near me.
They aren’t ill and I’ve checked pretty extensively and there are no lice or mites. There’s no worms in their poo and they aren’t broody

I’m In Australia so doesn’t really get cold enough to worry about a total stop of laying.

Can anyone help me out? I’m getting a bit lost on where to go from here!

Thanks

Have you checked for hidden nests or to make sure you don't have something eating the eggs?
It's not a matter of temperature but day light, are your days shorter that 14 hours of daylight?

Did they lay around this time of year last year? Not sure what season it is in Australia at this time but how much light are they getting a day? Is the bulk of their nutrition from free range or from feeds that you provide them?

If you're getting plenty of sunlight each day I would consider keeping them in the run in the morning to provide them a complete chicken feed (crumble or pellets) and then let them out for a little in the afternoon after they've all filled up. My guess would be feed related but maybe others have an idea

Have you checked for hidden nests or to make sure you don't have something eating the eggs?
It's not a matter of temperature but day light, are your days shorter that 14 hours of daylight?
Definitely no hidden nests not in my yard haha. Nothing could eat the eggs as they wouldn’t be able to get into my coop. And I don’t have any animals where I live that would eat them either.

Loads of daylight. Australia is never short of daylight, they laid all through last winter too!

Did they lay around this time of year last year? Not sure what season it is in Australia at this time but how much light are they getting a day? Is the bulk of their nutrition from free range or from feeds that you provide them?

If you're getting plenty of sunlight each day I would consider keeping them in the run in the morning to provide them a complete chicken feed (crumble or pellets) and then let them out for a little in the afternoon after they've all filled up. My guess would be feed related but maybe others have an idea
Thanks for the reply. Yeah they did lay this time last year. They eat my chicken feed out of house and home so they are plenty full on proper feed but I’ll defs try locking them up for the mornings and only letting them out in the arvo.

I usually do this on rainy days anyway and it’s not made a difference.

It’s super weird haha not a single egg from 5 young chooks in 3-4 months that’s a Long long time

All are only 1.5years old and I haven’t had a single egg for over 3-4 months from any of them. I find it super weird that all just stopped at the exact same time.

I’m In Australia so doesn’t really get cold enough to worry about a total stop of laying.
Since it's winter for you that's the likely reason. Did they all molt around the time they stopped laying? It's not about cold, it's about daylight length and if it's increasing or decreasing.

You also mentioned free ranging, I assume you've checked around the free range area just in case?

Back
Top Bottom