1 Big Worry, 2 Small Worries

Quick story to give any knowledge you may need: I convinced my mom to get chickens. We have had them before, but had to get rid of them when my parents divorced. We got 13 from one hatchery, and a week later got 7 more from another (because I wanted Cochins). We had a divider in the brooder for a few weeks until they were acquainted with each other. The reason I mentioned that is because I know mixing flocks can cause issues, but I don’t know to what extent. Anyway, I’m going to describe a few problems, feel free to answer one or a few or all. Any help is appreciated greatly! I’m new to this website also.

First problem: this is the big one I’m concerned about. One of my chickens, a golden laced Cochin, has gotten a swollen face around the eye, as well as some bubbles in the eye. I have some pictures here:
View attachment 1285997 View attachment 1286012 View attachment 1286020
The same thing happened a few weeks ago (2 I believe, started around 3 weeks ago) but it died down and we figured she was ok. But now after a week, it’s back and more than before. What could be causing this? A theory I had was that using the deep litter method, which my mom loves, is causing too much ammonia which can lead to respiratory diseases. If that’s what is happening how do I treat this? One other chicken is have a much milder issue, a Rhode Island Red, and she only has a few bubbles in her eye. Her’s came a lot later than the others, and I have adamantly checked the other chickens for possible signs of this. They are the only two as of now.

Second and third concern: I’m wondering if the picture I have of a chickens crooked toe is a bad thing. I’m not sure how it happened, but will they be able to live with it and not have any huge problems? Is it a normal thing or is it caused by a faulty structure or anything like that? And finally, my blue americauna is having her “muff” feathers pecked off. I think it’s because they are wet but I feel so bad for her. Is there anything I can do? I have a picture of her posted as well.
View attachment 1286014 View attachment 1286016 View attachment 1286015

For those of you who read and/or helped thank you very much!! I’m not very knowledgeable so this is a great website for me.

Zach
Welcome! I'm not qualified enough to give you a definitive answer on the eye problems, but in all likelihood there's a forum or thread that can, or, better yet, someone will read this thread & tell you right away. Good luck!

Hi and welcome to BYC, you have some beautiful birds there!

It sounds like they have a respiratory issue. You can treat with Tylan which you can get from a Tractor Supply as injectable, which you give orally three times a day or I think you need a prescription for the soluble powdered Tylan, which goes in their water. Treat your whole flock though, not just the visibly sick birds.

The toe thing is not an issue at all, turned toes are fairly common in chickens and don't interfere with their ability to function normally, however, I would say that maybe a little trim of those toe nails might help as they look quite long. You can trim them with human toenail clippers or dog clippers. They have a 'quick' (blood vessel) running through their nail so be careful not to clip into that. You will be able to see it through her nails as a pinkish line. When you clip, it is a good idea to have some corn starch handy just in case you do accidentally nick the quick. They can bleed quite profusely and the corn starch will stop that....just dip the nail in it up to where the toe itself starts and keep the bird stationary until it clots.

Hi and welcome to BYC, you have some beautiful birds there!

It sounds like they have a respiratory issue. You can treat with Tylan which you can get from a Tractor Supply as injectable, which you give orally three times a day or I think you need a prescription for the soluble powdered Tylan, which goes in their water. Treat your whole flock though, not just the visibly sick birds.

The toe thing is not an issue at all, turned toes are fairly common in chickens and don't interfere with their ability to function normally, however, I would say that maybe a little trim of those toe nails might help as they look quite long. You can trim them with human toenail clippers or dog clippers. They have a 'quick' (blood vessel) running through their nail so be careful not to clip into that. You will be able to see it through her nails as a pinkish line. When you clip, it is a good idea to have some corn starch handy just in case you do accidentally nick the quick. They can bleed quite profusely and the corn starch will stop that....just dip the nail in it up to where the toe itself starts and keep the bird stationary until it clots.
Thanks! I’ll head to tractor supply and see if I can grab some of that stuff, and as for the toenails I’ll definitely look into clipping them.

Swelling around an eye or the face, and bubbles in eyes sounds a bit like mycoplasma (MG,) a respiratory infection. It cannot be cured, may come back when the chicken is stressed, but symptoms can be treated with Tylan 50 injectable, found in the cattle medicines at feed stores. Give it orally, 0.2 ml per pound of weight 2-3 times a day for 5 days. Don’t give away or sell any of these birds, since they could be carriers. It can also pass through hatching eggs.

First problem: this is the big one I’m concerned about. One of my chickens, a golden laced Cochin, has gotten a swollen face around the eye, as well as some bubbles in the eye.
The same thing happened a few weeks ago (2 I believe, started around 3 weeks ago) but it died down and we figured she was ok. But now after a week, it’s back and more than before.
One other chicken is have a much milder issue, a Rhode Island Red, and she only has a few bubbles in her eye. Her’s came a lot later than the others
They are the only two as of now.
Hi @zach_arneth :frowWelcome To BYC

I agree with @Eggcessive the bubbles in the eyes/facial swelling, etc., sounds like Mycoplasma. You have been given good information for treatment.

chickens crooked toe is a bad thing. I’m not sure how it happened, but will they be able to live with it and not have any huge problems? Is it a normal thing or is it caused by a faulty structure or anything like that?
The crooked toe looks like it has been injured somehow. Possibly she cut it on something or got it caught. Have you looked closely to make sure there isn't a string wrapped around the toe? It is a little red and swollen, so keep watch on it.

upload_2018-3-6_23-54-44.png

blue americauna is having her “muff” feathers pecked off. I think it’s because they are wet but I feel so bad for her.
Is the blue americauna having issues with eye drainage as well? What's the reason for her muff to be wet? Sometimes chicken will pluck at another when they are a bit "different" so the pecking could be from that. You also asked about space and run problems- I see that @RodNTN has provided you with some helpful links. Hopefully with a few modifications some of your feather picking problems will be resolved.

Back
Top Bottom