1% milk from Raw Milk

Do not add water, that will make it absolutely nasty!!!
sickbyc.gif

To make 2% milk you need to remove half of the cream. Let the milk set for 24 hours undisturbed so that it can separate into skim milk and cream. Then spoon the cream off the top (a turkey baster can also work well, depending on the container). To make 1% milk, remove 3/4 of the cream.
smile.png

Yep, percentage is about the cream/fat, not the actual milk.

Cowgirl said it right, however it varies per animal and breed unless you're just buying it.

Quote:
True. The milk in the store (
sickbyc.gif
) is from Holsteins, which have naturally low fat milk. The typical fresh farm milk comes from Jersey cow, which naturally gives richer milk. For me, the SKIM milk from a Jersey cow tastes just as rich as 2% Holstein milk. And it tastes SO much better!

You have to admit though, cows are at the low end of the pole. Often it is the sheep, goats, and even yaks with higher content. Some goat breeds such as Kinders can produce milk with a content at 8% and sometimes higher. I once had a doe with 8% butterfat milk. I've had raw Jersey milk before and it didn't touch my doe's!
love.gif

Quote:
Yes Illia, I do agree.
smile.png
We actually do have a couple dairy goats now too. Got them this spring to feed all the bottle baby goats since they need goat's milk when they're real little or else they get sick (we weren't willing to buy milk replacer since it's very easy to spend more on that stuff than the animal is worth!).

I personally prefer the taste of Jersey milk over goat's milk. Cow's milk also separates, so you can get the cream from it. Cream=whipped cream, sour cream, and butter. And the skim milk is plenty drinkable too!
smile.png

Wheeler Farms - is your milk goat's or cow's milk? I totally forgot about the possibility of it being goat's milk...
he.gif
Goat's milk won't separate without a fancy - and expensive - machine. So without that machine your only option is whole milk. But don't add water, trust me, it's nasty!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom