1 out of my 5 baby chicks not growing and is unstable /lethargic

drthomcheese

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2022
Hi!
A week ago 11/23 had picked up 5 baby chicks all said to be couple days old from Rural King - all very similar size when purchased:
Sapphire Gem x2
Cinnamon Queen
Silver Laced Wyandotte
Golden Comet (I think is what they called her?) - is the mini

Couple photos of her and the cinnamon queen side by sides.

All are growing the same pace except the little yellow golden comet. She has been very lethargic, not as active, eats & drink a little, wobbly when moving around. She does try to burrow under the others sometime.
Has had a pasty butt on and off the last week that we check for multiple times a day.

I've tried searching some older threads but not finding anything too reassuring.
We have them inside the house with the heat lamp at a steady 90+ degree in their own room for shut to keep it extra toasty. Added some probiotics to the room temperature water the last couple days.

Wondering if anything else I can do to help her along? Is it a matter of time she won't make it? 😔
Any positive experiences for having a mini turn out okay? They are our pets and just hoping she can make it even if she isn't able to lay eggs down the road.

Attachments

• 20221130_214833.jpg
    20221130_214833.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20221130_214850.jpg
    20221130_214850.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221130_214842.jpg
    20221130_214842.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 23
  • 20221130_214745.jpg
    20221130_214745.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20221130_220058.jpg
    20221130_220058.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 24
We have them inside the house with the heat lamp at a steady 90+ degree in their own room for shut to keep it extra toasty.
Cute chicks!

Is all of the brooder 90+ ?

I'd make sure the brooder has enough space where there's a cool side, the chicks only need one warm space. Being inside, they may do a little better with less heat.

Place food/water on the cool end of the brooder.

Try grinding up the feed so it's a finer consistency, sometimes with tiny chicks they are unable to eat the crumbles as is. I put chick starter in a food processor for about the first week to grind it up.

Work on hydration and eating. She may enjoy wet feed better, but I'd first try grinding it smaller.

I also provide chick grit for chicks (at hatch) to help ensure they are able to process food and small bits of bedding. Chicks can and do pick up bits of the pine shavings and eat them (adult chickens do this too). Grit is a pet peeve of mine; I'll tell you all need it regardless of what they are being fed or where they are housed (cooped or free roaming).

For the pasting butt, keep it cleared. You can put a little coconut oil, anti-inflammatory cream or similar on the vent to help soothe and keep poop from sticking. Pasting can be from being too hot or cold (go figure), dehydration, etc.

If you have poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench. I'd give her 2-3 drops orally twice a day.

Sadly, some chicks are failure to thrive and don't make it, but hopefully this is not the case and she's just runty. See if tweaking the feed, playing with temps a little and getting her eating/drinking makes a difference.

Cute chicks!

Is all of the brooder 90+ ?

I'd make sure the brooder has enough space where there's a cool side, the chicks only need one warm space. Being inside, they may do a little better with less heat.

Place food/water on the cool end of the brooder.

Try grinding up the feed so it's a finer consistency, sometimes with tiny chicks they are unable to eat the crumbles as is. I put chick starter in a food processor for about the first week to grind it up.

Work on hydration and eating. She may enjoy wet feed better, but I'd first try grinding it smaller.

I also provide chick grit for chicks (at hatch) to help ensure they are able to process food and small bits of bedding. Chicks can and do pick up bits of the pine shavings and eat them (adult chickens do this too). Grit is a pet peeve of mine; I'll tell you all need it regardless of what they are being fed or where they are housed (cooped or free roaming).

For the pasting butt, keep it cleared. You can put a little coconut oil, anti-inflammatory cream or similar on the vent to help soothe and keep poop from sticking. Pasting can be from being too hot or cold (go figure), dehydration, etc.

If you have poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench. I'd give her 2-3 drops orally twice a day.

Sadly, some chicks are failure to thrive and don't make it, but hopefully this is not the case and she's just runty. See if tweaking the feed, playing with temps a little and getting her eating/drinking makes a difference.
It's a fairly large plastic storage tub, and only the one side stays above 90, the other is low 80s but I don't think any of them really venture over to that side yet - at least not for long. Can tell by minimal poop and overall less mess, haha.

Going to try grinding up the food, she does seem to perk up when fresh food is filled and will eat some but will test out both grinding and wet and see if it draws more interest. Will also set a spot for chick grit just in case!
I have seen her eat but not drink much... Have gently dipped her beak as a reminder that it's there.

I read that vaseline potentially a option to dab a touch on her bum to help with pasty butt? Trying to not go down the rabbit hole of internet knowledge though.

Will try to track down poultry nutri-drench! She seems like she would be sweet, doesn't mind being held but also could lack of energy so haven't wanted to bother her too if that is the case. But hope she at least gains some strength. 🤞🤞

Appreciate the thorough reply and tips very much!

I read that vaseline potentially a option to dab a touch on her bum to help with pasty butt? Trying to not go down the rabbit hole of internet knowledge though.
Yes, you can use vaseline on the vent if you wish.

Little ones like that are very sweet, I hope she improves. Keep us posted on how she's getting along.

Thread is a little old and I hope its doing ok, but I had a baby chicken like this too. I found hand feeding it yolk with a syringe helped give it a boost and it eventually turned out ok. Just gotta be patient and feed it 1 drop at a time.

Thread is a little old and I hope its doing ok, but I had a baby chicken like this too. I found hand feeding it yolk with a syringe helped give it a boost and it eventually turned out ok. Just gotta be patient and feed it 1 drop at a time.
Thank you for posting!
She's been doing slightly better, eating and drinking a bit more, but still avslow grower and a bit topsy turvey.
Her vent looks to be having ongoing pasty butt, or maybe even vent gleek? This is a first for me and just going off some googling research.
We've been adding a few drops of apple cider vinegar as that was one of the suggestions.

An update.. She (believe she's a she) is about 4.5 weeks now and seems to be doing much better. Less wobbly, more stable, still smaller than the other 4 but not as drastic of a difference. Eating and drinking regularly.
Haven't had pasty butt in a couple weeks, so hoping she's going to pull through and be just fine. ❤️

Attachments

• 20221223_215340.jpg
    20221223_215340.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom