1 Silkie Chick

tchic0195

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2018
Bryceville , Florida
Long story short, I was at the feed store, was checking out, the two girls in front of me bought two silkies around a day or two old, they were the last two at the store. As I checked out and went to the parking lot , the girls and a older gentleman was standing beside a truck and he was screaming at the girls because the store would not take one back (strong 2 bird policy I guess) and telling them to throw one of two chicks down, they were not leaving with both. I was fuming, told him I would take the chick that you cant just throw it on the ground, anyway, I gave the idiot 5 bucks and the girls handed me one of the chicks...enter 1 Silkie chick... she is about 3 weeks old, I take her with me everywhere, she goes to work with me everyday, when I get home I let her outside for several hours while I am tending to my other girls. She absolutely hates the other chickens, and hates the grass. She doesn't like any food but her chick crumble, no treats. meal worms, table food nothing..... She prefers the company of humans and canines and occasionally she talks to Al the parakeet, when she isn't trying to peck him, lol...So my questions are:
Is this normal for a Silkie? Never had one and I am a new chicken mom?
Is it possible that she can be an inside chicken?
Why would she not like chicks her same age? she was so mean to it, tried for a week, wth?
Why doesn't she like to go on the grass? That's weird. She runs for the nearest porch or deck, anything that's not grass.
I bought her a babycake forging thing and she wants no part if it? Should she like this?

IF it's weird I am definitely going to end up with it. My 5 other girls, hate broccoli, field greens, fruit and meals worms, unless the worms are in one of those treat squares.

Just be careful .You have made her to be that way . It might be cute but for how many years will you want a chicken that doesn’t know how to be a chicken ?

In my opinion , you are setting her up for a unhealthy life, they need “ friends “,not just you !

I would have saved her too, but she needs to be with chickens

Just be careful .You have made her to be that way . It might be cute but for how many years will you want a chicken that doesn’t know how to be a chicken ?

In my opinion , you are setting her up for a unhealthy life, they need “ friends “,not just you !

I would have saved her too, but she needs to be with chickens[/QUOTE
Oh, a

How exactly did I make her this way? I'm confused? From day one, We have tried to put her with other chicks her age, and with my older girls which are not mean to her at all and she wants nothing to do with them. My girlfriend who has baby chicks around the same age took her for a week, she would have nothing to do with them and was mean to the other chicks. My friend has only had chickens for a year (so some knowledge but not an expert) but says she has seen nothing like her. I don't know where you got out of my post that I only want her to be with "me"?

I just want to make sure I am clear about my post above, I would prefer her to grow up and be with my other girls, that's why I asked if this is normal behavior for Silkies? I have raised my other girls from chicks and they all went out in their coop and run very easily. She is not behaving like any of them. I would take them out as chicks everyday to the run and let them forge, play and dust, They loved it. She does not. I put her in a little round pin for puppies that my neighbor had, out by the other chickens so she could not come on the porch, she does nothing, wont forge, scratch, dust, nothing...

Back
Top Bottom