1 week old chick not walking and wing is stuck up.

Karen617

Hatching
Jun 4, 2019
Hello and thank you in advance for any guidance and support you pass along.

I recently picked up 6 3 day old chicks - all were vibrant, healthy and full of pep. One of my girls at 6 days old would not walk and left her wing was somewhat up in the air. I took her to a vet and they gave me an antibiotic and vitamins. The vet did not feel it was a virus and she was also the vet that vaccinated all the chicks. Nothing has changed with this treatment.

Her legs are strong and she can support her weight providing I hold or prop her up straight. Otherwise they both will slide to the right As I mentioned, she kicks like crazy and can wrap her toes around my finger. She is full of pep and wats like a horse...I again prop her or hold her and also give her water on a tablespoon because she is not strong enough to operate a bunny waterer.

The vet said she didn’t not feel anything was broken, but that wing is up in the air. I massaged it a little tonight and she seemed to love it :) Now I am wondering if her balance issues have to do with that wing.

Any thoughts appreciated. I want to do what is best for her and she is so strong and solid outside of what seems to almost be a balance issue. I have included pics and look forward to responses.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 847E6FD3-510D-477B-8379-117525A8048F.jpeg
    847E6FD3-510D-477B-8379-117525A8048F.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2842DB7C-DED3-48F4-9083-4C1B458E0B5B.jpeg
    2842DB7C-DED3-48F4-9083-4C1B458E0B5B.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 4BE9213C-5918-48CB-A578-F8A5FF2F5FC5.jpeg
    4BE9213C-5918-48CB-A578-F8A5FF2F5FC5.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 5
Answer these:

If she does walk, does she stumble?
If you pick her up and put her on her feet, does she slowly go down, or fall over?
If you gently push on her wing does it come back out?
Does she try to walk?
Was she Gord like this?

Answer these:

If she does walk, does she stumble?
If you pick her up and put her on her feet, does she slowly go down, or fall over?
If you gently push on her wing does it come back out?
Does she try to walk?
Was she Gord like this?

Thanks for the reply. No, she was not born like this it came on suddenly. The vet feels it is developmental.

If I support her she can walk, but it is a crooked walk. I’m afraid to push the wing down as I do not want to cause any damage, but it is almost straight up all the time. If I put her on her feet she will fall over as both legs will fall out from under her and always to the right.

She is a ball of fire though. Full of spunk and energy and just the sweetest. The vet said if I elected to put her to sleep she would support that as not everyone can deal with a special needs chicken. I’m fine with helping her with food and water, but once she starts laying what will that do to her? P

Back
Top Bottom