1 wk old baby chicks - is my set up okay?

Yea they are indoors. I have a lid as well added the picture. If i need to upgrade i would. Do you think i will need to upgrade before 7 weeks when they go outside?
I’ve read chicks need one square foot each at a minimum the first 6 weeks. How big is that container?

You'll need to upgrade. How many chicks and how large is the tote? Do you already have chickens? Is the coop ready, if not?

By 7 weeks they should have around 2 sq ft minimum per chick. I give my chicks 2 sq ft from the start, and from their behavior they're eager to expand past that by only 2 weeks. I brooded indoors only once, and by 4 weeks (with around 3 sq ft per chick) my chicks were slamming into the walls as they ran around. So you're really stunting their ability to explore keeping them confined in a small space.

Also take a temperature reading at the "cool" end of the brooder, away from the light... I'm going to guess you won't see a huge temperature drop, and that's not ideal (and may not be achievable in a small tote). If under the lamp is 91 (which should be fine for 1 week) then away from the lamp it should be around 80, or even less.

Hello i have a new flock of 4 birds.1 week old. Ive posted a pic of my set up below the thermometer says about 91 degrees is this good? They seem okay but in all the other photos the lamps seem so close. Mine is about 2 feet about the brooder. Any advice would be great or anything different u see i could be doing. Thanks!
That looks perfect!
You see, I used to keep mine in wire crates when they were young until being move to the coop, then I'd put a small crate in the coop to get them used to being with the others, and then release them!
Right now I have two the are about old enough to go out, but they live alone (in a very secure kennel with heat lamp) as we put their mother back out with the other hens.

New set up everyone. What do you think? Tons more space!

Attachments

• 3ADA81B0-8A95-471B-9F5F-4FFFDBA052ED.jpeg
    3ADA81B0-8A95-471B-9F5F-4FFFDBA052ED.jpeg
    843.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 8E813372-2EA1-4592-8D0B-4B6D811FB37A.jpeg
    8E813372-2EA1-4592-8D0B-4B6D811FB37A.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 10
New set up everyone. What do you think? Tons more space!

The brooder looks great! I am hoping that is a spare bedroom and not one where people sleep. Chicks produce a lot of dust in the brooder and it would not be healthy to breathe while sleeping.

Yes, much nicer, and it'll be much easier to give them the temperature variance they need to help wean them off heat later.

And I agree about the dander... might be hard to see how bad it is until it's all built up, but from raising 3 chicks in a bathtub, I had to scrub oily, grimey dander off the wall 6' up, and off a sink 4' away. Definitely not something I want to be inhaling each night.

Back
Top Bottom