1 year old bantam hunched with dropped wings, eats well, HELP!!!!!

Dulcijean

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 11, 2008
Bel Air, Maryland
Lacy has diarhea with a pretty nasty bottom. When you pick her up, she doesn't try to stand on you hand. She is panting and stays in one area with no desire to move. When she stand to move, it looks like she is drunk. I put oatmeal mixed with flaxseed in front of her and she ate like crazy. PLEASE HELP ME and my sweetest bantam, Lacy.

has she been where she could have eaten anything toxic? I was recently reading (backyard poultry new mag) the signs of it and dropped wings was just one of them.

She is free ranged, but there is nothing poisonous except maybe a toadstool. She, along with her three sisters, has the run of 3/4 an acrea. The other bantams are well. Thanks for trying to help. Does that make you think of anything else?

No but the thing i read said that most bad things also will taste bad. It said they will usually stop eating it and can get sick, but will recover because they wont eat enough. Said paralysis (sp) starts at the feet and goes up and the wings will drop. Thats all i have seen on the wings dropping. Hopefully someone might offer some better suggestions for you. My mothers cat once went after a frog that emitted a toxic substance to defend itself and her cat was foaming at the mouth and sick for 24 hours or more. so there are many basic things in the yard that can be bad. Good Luck, i hope she is ok
fl.gif

Last edited:
I would confine this hen to small safe area to closely observe, and make sure she has feed and water..
see if she eats and improves.
also watch for any other symptoms.
please describe the messy vent..what color is the mess?(important)

check her crop...after she eats it should feel full.
in the morning before she eats it should be empty or flat.
check for lumps, a grainy feeling, or any sour odor.

check the belly/vent area for any swelling or heat.
has she ever laid soft shelled eggs?

does she feel thin?

it's possible she could have eaten something bad..either toxic plant, or something treated with a chemical, or something dead, rotten with maggots..or even stagnant water.

I'd try giving her some plain active culture yogurt with the oatmeal.
and vitamins might help..
no veggies or corn until her droppings improve.
I'd also up her protein.

has she been wormed?
if so when? and what was used?
has she been treated for mites?

Last edited:
Lacy is doing well today. We confined her for the night and this morning she was fine. We get occassional toadstool mushrooms in the back, but nothing else that is poisonous. Thank you for your help! You were spot on with the diagnosis.

That's great news!!!!
it can be very confusing when symptoms can mean so many different things. BYC and backyard poultry magazine are must have's if you raise chickens IMO
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom