1 year old Faverolles Drops dead suddenly

oystercrackers

Songster
Jul 28, 2019
Midwest, USA
My only Faverolles suddenly died 2 nights ago. She was already stiff and in the corner of the coop when I found her that evening. I checked her over and could find nothing wrong and she had been acting fine that morning, Her comb was normal, no mites, no symptoms. They had food and water but their coop was a bit overdue for a clean, and I was going to clean the coop tomorrow. I had a golden comet that died a month back but she was sick for roughly 48 hours, wouldn't eat or drink, lethargic, and her comb was dark. I don't think it was the same thing. What happened to her? Will I lose more birds?

I was going to bury her yesterday but didn't get around to it, I think the body is probably too old for it at this point. her body is sitting in a bag in the garage, and everyone's weight is pretty average. Their poop looks normal in the coop, just the average-sized brown logs with the bit of white. She tended to sleep on the ground despite me encouraging her to sleep on the roost which may have been the reason for the poopy butt? ill deworm the rest of my four chickens as soon as I can and check them over. She seemed to be in good health and laid eggs regularly.

I was going to bury her yesterday but didn't get around to it, I think the body is probably too old for it at this point. her body is sitting in a bag in the garage, and everyone's weight is pretty average. Their poop looks normal in the coop, just the average-sized brown logs with the bit of white. She tended to sleep on the ground despite me encouraging her to sleep on the roost which may have been the reason for the poopy butt? ill deworm the rest of my four chickens as soon as I can and check them over. She seemed to be in good health and laid eggs regularly.
Sometimes chickens have internal issues that aren't even contagious, I'd just encourage you to deworm your flock and check for any sign something could be off.
I had a hen that just up and died without notice, had her necropsied and she had "bad lungs". That was it. They just gave out one day. Had nothing to do with environment or age.
It's a real possibility it could be something similar with your situation. Best you can do is study your flock's behavior. ❤

My only Faverolles suddenly died 2 nights ago. She was already stiff and in the corner of the coop when I found her that evening. I checked her over and could find nothing wrong and she had been acting fine that morning, Her comb was normal, no mites, no symptoms. They had food and water but their coop was a bit overdue for a clean, and I was going to clean the coop tomorrow. I had a golden comet that died a month back but she was sick for roughly 48 hours, wouldn't eat or drink, lethargic, and her comb was dark. I don't think it was the same thing. What happened to her? Will I lose more birds?
Sorry for your loss. We occasionally find a dead bird. It’s often impossible to tell what happened and my attitude is that as an owner I will occasionally lose a bird to an illness. I hate it but that’s how it goes when you own chickens. I’ve saved quite a few that were ill but that’s all we can do. Overall I think we do pretty good keeping them healthy overall. Good luck!

Sometimes chickens just die suddenly, this is called sudden chicken death syndrome, but based on your description this most likely isn’t it, hopefully she doesn’t have a contagious disease.

Back
Top Bottom