10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Pics
That is very cool! I put a redneck blue tarp over mind last year but if you don't tie it down real good when the wind picks up it will tear the grommets right out of the tarp. Actually, even if you do tie it good enough wind will still tear it up. If you can keep the sun off the pool it really cuts down on algae growth.
Good point about the grommets. My DH screwed one side of the tarp grommets with big washers. The other side is just quickly lashed down with rope. I have a nice long piece of wood, think about 12-feet, that I might be able to lay over the top of the tarp and resting on the existing frame. It might help some in violent winds to keep it from flapping like a sail in a hurricane. <smile>

Good point about the grommets. My DH screwed one side of the tarp grommets with big washers. The other side is just quickly lashed down with rope. I have a nice long piece of wood, think about 12-feet, that I might be able to lay over the top of the tarp and resting on the existing frame. It might help some in violent winds to keep it from flapping like a sail in a hurricane. <smile>
That is a great idea. Both the washers and that big long piece of wood are something I will try. We are subject to getting some awful storms with tornados and those straight-line winds or whatever they are called are really brutal.

One of my hens was in the back pen area this morning, so I dribbled more water into the pool. I got that half-cocked head quizzical look from her. Here's what I found just a few minutes ago! The other 2 will follow, especially after they hear the splashing.

swimming.jpg

Haven't seen all 4 in the new pool yet, BUT right now, they're basking in the sun (it's chilly here today), and they're all preening and wing flapping like they had a great swim. Think I'll ask DH to build a partial platform with a ramp. I think they'll appreciate a platform for summer preening.

Back
Top Bottom