10 month old hen suddenly lathargic and quiet

SFlChicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 28, 2010
South Florida
We have 3 hens, all the same age. Today, Maddie was her normal self and she layed an egg both yesterday and today. She was eating and drinking normally earlier, and making her normal racket while another hen was in the nesting box.

This evening, she stood in the center of our deck and fell asleep. I've never seen her do this.

My husband went out to visit with them, and she didn't move at all. Usually, when we try to pick them up, the squat down, and spread their wings out. This time, she only partially went down, and barely spread out her wings.

He brought her into the house, and she was remarkably quiet. She is our chatty girl so her silence is deafening. We got her to eat some cauliflower, but some pieces she would grab for, then not chew / swallow.

We took her back outside and put her in the coop. Normally she will either walk around, or jump up on the roost. Neither. We eventually put her on the roost where she settled down. She usually puts up a racket when the other girls jump up... tonight, not a peep.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm torn between checking on her and being afraid of what I might find.
hu.gif

Good news! She seems to be fine this morning. She's up and eating, drinking, and chirping. It could have been the heat or maybe she was just tired. Suffice to say we are going to keep an eye on her to make sure there is no repeat performance of last night.

I don't see any sign of lice or mites and their poop is abundantly normal.

Thanks for the quick responses~

Back
Top Bottom